Sabian cymbal refresh service

opentune

Platinum Member
anybody tried this service? What was the turnaround time?
I am getting an older 18 HH med thin crash thinned out in weight possibly to a 'thin'
the cymbal bought spontaneously off eBay. It's got a nice sound but a little too heavy gongy for my taste.

Well nobody ever replied ....but I got this done.
This is a great service by Sabian.
I shipped my cymbal with $40 and it came back in less than a month.

Got it lathed, thinned it as well, and re-polished. Go Sabian!

Before and after pics below

before
_57_zpsa02ebfa9.jpg

after
sabian%20hh%2018%20crash_zpslirez4dw.jpg

The HH looks beautiful and it's interesting you asked to have them thin it out, as I did the same, for an 18 AAXplosion crash I bought cheap off Craig's list. They thinned it as much as possible without disturbing the structural integrity and it came back looking new and beautiful, opening up a bit faster than before.

On a side note, I've realized the 18 AAXplosion is a much heavier crash than my 17 AAXplosion. I had assumed the 18 would open up with a light touch as my 17 does, but that 1 inch made the 18 much harder to crash for my styles, so I had it thinned out. Its almost like the 17 is a thin crash and the 18 is a medium thin. I've found this to be the case in every 17 and 18 AAXplosion cymbals I've checked out in stores whenever possible.

yes they do nice work. I would not hesitate to send any others.
cymbal profiles can differ between sizes as well.

The refurbished HH came out beautifully!! I might rethink trying out some of those older ugly cymbals in the future.

Good going!

Hot damn, that looks nice. I have half a mind to get back into Sabian for some of these perks; never knew about them when I was invested in Sabian. I would love to get some half-polished Fierce Crashes.

On a side note, I've realized the 18 AAXplosion is a much heavier crash than my 17 AAXplosion.

I've never tried the 17" but my old 18" AAXplosion was indeed quite heavy for a "medium-thin" cymbal, very sharp attack. I preferred the A Custom I had at the time, much softer and more sensitive, but this was about 5 years ago so I'm not crystal clear.

The HH looks beautiful and it's interesting you asked to have them thin it out, as I did the same, for an 18 AAXplosion crash I bought cheap off Craig's list. They thinned it as much as possible without disturbing the structural integrity and it came back looking new and beautiful, opening up a bit faster than before.

On a side note, I've realized the 18 AAXplosion is a much heavier crash than my 17 AAXplosion. I had assumed the 18 would open up with a light touch as my 17 does, but that 1 inch made the 18 much harder to crash for my styles, so I had it thinned out. Its almost like the 17 is a thin crash and the 18 is a medium thin. I've found this to be the case in every 17 and 18 AAXplosion cymbals I've checked out in stores whenever possible.

I've used them a couple of times.

Attachments

• 2aax.jpg
    2aax.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 152
  • hhnew.jpg
    hhnew.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 154
Back