Sabian cymbal refresh

opentune

Platinum Member
anybody tried this service? What was the turnaround time?
I am getting an older 18 HH med thin crash thinned out in weight possibly to a 'thin'
the cymbal bought spontaneously off eBay. It's got a nice sound but a little too heavy gongy for my taste.

opentune

Platinum Member
Well nobody ever replied ....but I got this done.
This is a great service by Sabian.
I shipped my cymbal with $40 and it came back in less than a month.

Got it lathed, thinned it as well, and re-polished. Go Sabian!

Before and after pics below

before
_57_zpsa02ebfa9.jpg

after
sabian%20hh%2018%20crash_zpslirez4dw.jpg

newoldie

Silver Member
The HH looks beautiful and it's interesting you asked to have them thin it out, as I did the same, for an 18 AAXplosion crash I bought cheap off Craig's list. They thinned it as much as possible without disturbing the structural integrity and it came back looking new and beautiful, opening up a bit faster than before.

On a side note, I've realized the 18 AAXplosion is a much heavier crash than my 17 AAXplosion. I had assumed the 18 would open up with a light touch as my 17 does, but that 1 inch made the 18 much harder to crash for my styles, so I had it thinned out. Its almost like the 17 is a thin crash and the 18 is a medium thin. I've found this to be the case in every 17 and 18 AAXplosion cymbals I've checked out in stores whenever possible.

opentune

Platinum Member
yes they do nice work. I would not hesitate to send any others.
cymbal profiles can differ between sizes as well.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
The refurbished HH came out beautifully!! I might rethink trying out some of those older ugly cymbals in the future.

Good going!

porter

Platinum Member
Hot damn, that looks nice. I have half a mind to get back into Sabian for some of these perks; never knew about them when I was invested in Sabian. I would love to get some half-polished Fierce Crashes.

On a side note, I've realized the 18 AAXplosion is a much heavier crash than my 17 AAXplosion.

I've never tried the 17" but my old 18" AAXplosion was indeed quite heavy for a "medium-thin" cymbal, very sharp attack. I preferred the A Custom I had at the time, much softer and more sensitive, but this was about 5 years ago so I'm not crystal clear.

pgm554

Platinum Member
The HH looks beautiful and it's interesting you asked to have them thin it out, as I did the same, for an 18 AAXplosion crash I bought cheap off Craig's list. They thinned it as much as possible without disturbing the structural integrity and it came back looking new and beautiful, opening up a bit faster than before.

On a side note, I've realized the 18 AAXplosion is a much heavier crash than my 17 AAXplosion. I had assumed the 18 would open up with a light touch as my 17 does, but that 1 inch made the 18 much harder to crash for my styles, so I had it thinned out. Its almost like the 17 is a thin crash and the 18 is a medium thin. I've found this to be the case in every 17 and 18 AAXplosion cymbals I've checked out in stores whenever possible.

I've used them a couple of times.

Attachments

• 2aax.jpg
    2aax.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 152
  • hhnew.jpg
    hhnew.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 154