S Hoops

basset52

I want to get some S Hoops for my snare to try. They are almost impossible to get in Oz. Importing them from the US is really expensive. A bloke has offered me Slingerland hoops. I'm not at all familiar with these. A photo indicates they look the same as S Hoops. Are they?

I want to get some S Hoops for my snare to try. They are almost impossible to get in Oz. Importing them from the US is really expensive. A bloke has offered me Slingerland hoops. I'm not at all familiar with these. A photo indicates they look the same as S Hoops. Are they?
S hoops are patterned after the Slingerlands. They’re either called S hoops because of the Slingerland name or the profile shape which is like an “S”. You’re safe with the Slingerlands unless they’re all rusted or bent.

S hoops are patterned after the Slingerlands. They’re either called S hoops because of the Slingerland name or the profile shape which is like an “S”. You’re safe with the Slingerlands unless they’re all rusted or bent.
Thanks Bo,Appreciate it.

I don't know - I've had Slingerland hoops and s-hoops, and the commonality is that they curve in. However, the top flange on a Slingerland hoop isn't very wide - about like a triple flange, except it rolls inward. The s-hoop has a very wide top flange, about 1/2 inch or so.

For the record, I really like both hoops, but they're different.

S hoops have a fatter edge making cross stick rimshots easy. I have them top & bottom on my Tama Artwood & I love them. I hope you can figure out a way to get a set.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1608134222190.jpg
    FB_IMG_1608134222190.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 11
Well, I stand corrected. I recall the Ahead snares and their S-hoops now, and they are definitely not like Slingerland hoops. They are like curved-in triple-flange hoops. My apologies. But it might be easier for you to find a whole set of Slingerland ones where you are rather than trying to get actual S-hoops, considering the used market.

Thanks Bo,Appreciate it.
Well, I stand corrected. I recall the Ahead snares and their S-hoops now, and they are definitely not like Slingerland hoops. They are like curved-in triple-flange hoops. My apologies. But it might be easier for you to find a whole set of Slingerland ones where you are rather than trying to get actual S-hoops, considering the used market.
That's OK. No worries. I/ve followed up with the bloke with Slingerlands. They are new. He will import them for me at for the he same cost of triple flanged ( 64 AUD), so all good. Actual S Hoops were going to cost me 180 AUD from the US.

Another thing with the slingerlands... They could be the older COB stick savers. The brass is a slightly different beast that it is very cool in its own right.

The "S" in S-Hoops actually stands for Safety, as their wide inward flange was designed to offer protection for bearing edges. That said, the inward flange is much wider than on Slingerland hoops, and they make for great-feeling rim shots as well as a little extra rigidity/tuning stability.

Back