S Hoops

For those with experience with S-Hoops have you found that they produce a louder, more powerful snare sound than triple flange? Thanks.

I wouldn't say so, but I've never really thought any conventional hoops have any effect on volume.

They're more rigid and a bit heavier than a 2.3mm triple flange, but they don't seem to mute the higher overtones or make the head feel super stiff the same way a die cast hoop can. I think they're a perfect middle ground between triple flange and die cast, and they're much cheaper than die cast hoops.

Definitely not louder or more powerful IME. In fact, the only things they’re good for are a bit more stiffness than triple flange, and protecting the bearing edge from damage.

I play a lot of cross stick, and I don’t like how low the S hoop is over the head.

I agree with the previous two posts. For me, hoops affect the feel of a snare more than its volume. Volume is a function of technique and tuning. It's also influenced by the size and shell composition of a snare.

An S-Hoops primarily provides a middle ground of focus in between triple flanged hoops and die cast hoops.

Based on what I've heard from others, another alternative to achieve pretty much the same effect is a DW True Hoop.

Someone define S-hoops. Are you referring to the old Slingerland Stick Saver hoops?
A picture can describe it best. :)
3J1Uvuq.png

I've been an S-hoop player for a long time. I use them on all my snare, with the acceptation of 1 or 2 that came with Die Cast already on them.
They provide a bit more of the "open" sound you experience with Triple Flange, but provide more sharp attack like Die Cast. Perfect middle ground! Plus my sticks last WAY longer. I'm a heavy rim-shot guy, and I can get a pair of sticks to last me weeks and weeks with the S-hoops.

I put a set of S hoops on the snare I built a few months ago. They're awesome. Definitely helpful w/rim shots--just easy. No pain (I have arthritis in my hands). They're perfect for a snare.

I agree with the previous two posts. For me, hoops affect the feel of a snare more than its volume. Volume is a function of technique and tuning. It's also influenced by the size and shell composition of a snare.
Thought you meant 'volume' as in cubic inches initially.
I was momentarily bamboozled there.

Back