Rudimental Practice and Your Brain

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
This is not scientific. It's just something I've noticed lately that I do. I've been doing lots of pad work in the past 6-8 months. I've noticed that as a pattern becomes fluid and comfortable where I don't have to count or think about it, the pattern develops its own soundtrack in my head. It isn't random either. The next time I get out the pad and play the same pattern, it's song returns. So basically, my head makes up a melody to help my hands remember the pattern. Does this make sense at all? Am I the only one?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Not wrong at all... Unless I'm reading it wrong... That's how it works. When you practice something a lot it becomes ingrained and you don't have to consciously think about it anymore. I always say counting is for learning, when you're playing music don't count, play.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Not wrong at all... Unless I'm reading it wrong... That's how it works. When you practice something a lot it becomes ingrained and you don't have to consciously think about it anymore. I always say counting is for learning, when you're playing music don't count, play.
Right, but do you generate a tune in your head when not playing music? That's what I'm wondering. I do, and each rudiment has its own tune. It's only when I'm on the pad. I don't hear the paradiddle tune when I play one if I'm playing music. It's not intentional, my brain makes up the tune on its own.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Right, but do you generate a tune in your head when not playing music? That's what I'm wondering. I do, and each rudiment has its own tune. It's only when I'm on the pad. I don't hear the paradiddle tune when I play one if I'm playing music. It's not intentional, my brain makes up the tune on its own.
All the freakin time. When I sit down and just play by myself, or someone tells me to "play a groove", I always make up a little song in my head and play along to that. Gives me a reference point.

I almost never play anything "dry" and I'm not very good at it... I don't have a quiver full of grooves or fills I do, they're always inspired by a melody or some other aspect of a song/ditty/whatever.

buddhadrummer

Good observation. Since I was a kid I hear rhythms as little melodies and it makes them easier to internalize, rather than memorizing a sticking or accent pattern. Not sure if that's what you meant but it's my experience.

Benthedrummer

This is not scientific. It's just something I've noticed lately that I do. I've been doing lots of pad work in the past 6-8 months. I've noticed that as a pattern becomes fluid and comfortable where I don't have to count or think about it, the pattern develops its own soundtrack in my head. It isn't random either. The next time I get out the pad and play the same pattern, it's song returns. So basically, my head makes up a melody to help my hands remember the pattern. Does this make sense at all? Am I the only one?
MIP..........it is actually VERY scientific. This is the whole reason why we practice and repeat exercises over and over again. This is absolute science.