Roland TM-1

Ryan Culberson

Not really electronic drums, per se, but I picked up one of these little modules recently in a trade. I’ve been using an SPD-SX, but for how I actually incorporate electronic sounds it’s just a bit too much horsepower. The main reason I even have electronics at all is to blend triggered bass drum sounds with my mic’d acoustic bass drum sound.

I got a BT-1 bar trigger pad to go with it and have loaded up the module with some cool bass drum and snare/tambo/clappy sounds that should come in handy. I tried the BT-1 attached to my snare drum but it needs to be mounted separately. Still working on how I want to do that.

Thanks to @Chris Whitten for a heads up in another thread about free sounds he recorded to use with the TM-1. I’m using quite a few sounds from that sample pack. Now to figure out what to do with the SPD-SX.

986DE191-1A45-4E17-AC7F-579305260381.jpeg

Last edited:

calan

Silver Member
Did your BT-1 not come with the parts to allow you to mount it to a post (cowbell rod, cymbal post)?

I've got mine on cymbal arms. Keeps them away from the microphones and more independent mounting reduces the sympathetic vibration, making it easier to dial in settings.

I'm using the TM-2, however. I suspect it's pretty much the same internally. I do think the extra features on the TM-2 are worth the slightly higher price point.

calan

Silver Member
I think I use mine much the same as you.

It's mostly there so I can reproduce infrequently used sounds without having to bring along a box of auxillary percussion, along with the layer for the kick drum. I also have a pedal in my setup.

I'd recommend a cymbal arm. From your picture, clamping on to your high hat stand seems ideal.

I'd recommend against a cowbell mount. In my case, the bass drum just transferred too much vibration to the trigger and I couldn't dial it out. It should be noted that my usual situation is stupidly loud, though.

I agree about the metal chassis. Boss guitar pedals are pretty much bomb proof, and Boss = Roland.

Chris Whitten

I'm using the TM-2, however. I suspect it's pretty much the same internally.
The TM2 is 16 bit, the TM1 is 24 bit. But the biggest positive difference (to me) is the TM1 is super easy, plug and play. You use two triggers and have two channels to drop samples on to. You use an app to exchange samples. It couldn't be simpler.

Chris Whitten

Thanks to @Chris Whitten for a heads up in another thread about free sounds he recorded to use with the TM-1.
Recently we put up another free pack. I'm not sure if some of the same sounds are in our TM-1 pack, but maybe worth a download:

Ryan Culberson

Recently we put up another free pack. I'm not sure if some of the same sounds are in our TM-1 pack, but maybe worth a download:

Sweet! Thanks, Chris. 🙏🏻