Roland TD9-K2 vs Alesis Command Mesh

Drealler

I'm beginner looking for a setup that will not need to be changed soon. A friend of mine is selling his Roland TD9-K2 with almost no use and I looked in near stores the Alesis Command Mesh. Considering that I'm a fast learner and I pretend to play Metal which one would you choose ? There is another good setup recommended ?

**I live in a country that Roland is so fucking expensive and this one used one is in a good price.

Thanks!

davor

I picked up a used TD9 for a good price a few years back (when I started learning), and it's been brilliant!

It has its drawbacks of course, but 90% of my practice and development has been done on it. If budget is an issue for you, you can't go wrong with the TD9.

I'm afraid I can't compare it to the Alesis you mention, and I don't play metal, so I'll leave it to others to chime in

Is it an option for you to try them out before making a decision?

Presumably the used TD9 is significantly cheaper?

Also, are all the drums mesh on the TD9? (I've seen some where only the snare is mesh and the others are rubber pads which you would want to upgrade to mesh later)

Also, which hi hat does it have?

Drealler

Thanks for your answer.

Is it an option for you to try them out before making a decision?
Yes but as a beginner I'm afraid to not have the ability to identify the best in all the technical aspects, but I can define the best timbre, rebound and things like that.

Presumably the used TD9 is significantly cheaper?
Yeah, its 50% of the Alesis price. My worry is about how old is the technology behind, the compatibility of the pieces and posible problems with the drum parts. I think this Roland model is 10 year age.

Also, are all the drums mesh on the TD9? (I've seen some where only the snare is mesh and the others are rubber pads which you would want to upgrade to mesh later)
Also, which hi hat does it have?
The kit is all as factory https://www.roland.com/br/products/td-9k2/

davor

The hi hat is the weak link in both of these kits....I know for sure you can upgrade the Roland hi hat to a VH11, however this can be pricey (but could be worth it further down the line into your drumming journey). The existing hi hat is certainly sufficient enough however

Also, bear in mind you need to factor in the price of an amp, unless you plan on solely using headphones

Doraemon

Roland is much higher quality and more durable and if it was barely used, it's has more value. Alesis can break on you in a week. (Or not. My Alesis kits never had any issues, but I would only recommend their cheapest kits for those who don't mind the risk.) Most metal music has lots of cymbals, so expanding a Roland kit may be costly (it has connection for crash2), but you can probably use simple noname single pads, too. There is a way to split some inputs into extra ones (e.g route a tom rim to another cymbal) using "drumsplitters". Expanding Alesis is easier. But I wouldn't recommend the Command anyway, because it offers litttle more than their low-end models, just bigger pads, but it doesn't support a ride bell (a 3-zone ride) which is also something that is used often in metal. For that the Crimson or Crimson II SE is a good choice. But if the Roland is all mesh and cheap, that's the winner imo. Only thing it doesn't have is USB Midi to connect to a computer, but there are midi to usb cables for that (like UM-ONE).

Drealler

I see, for me the Roland is winning imo. What do you guys think about the Roland TD-1 DMK in comparison with this used TD9 ? TD-1 cost 7,6K here and the TD9 is 5k.

electrodrummer

Metal? Not the Alesis - you'll break the pads too easily - so given those two - The Roland ;)
Another to recommend? Any Yamaha (more features, better sounds [1] no evil proprietary cable snake ;) )

Go hit some. Avoid entry dead-end level models- always go higher 2nd hand.

[1] subjective, obs,

Hellwyck

I'm beginner looking for a setup that will not need to be changed soon. A friend of mine is selling his Roland TD9-K2 with almost no use and I looked in near stores the Alesis Command Mesh. Considering that I'm a fast learner and I pretend to play Metal which one would you choose ? There is another good setup recommended ?

**I live in a country that Roland is so fucking expensive and this one used one is in a good price.

Thanks!
Never "pretend" to play metal - do or do not, there is no try.

SVBJECT

Nothing wrong with second hand, and the risk factor is somewhat mitigated by knowing the source, it's not just some random on the internet. Sounds like you've either got a great deal or a terrible friend.

Fritz Frigursson

Metal? Not the Alesis - you'll break the pads too easily - so given those two - The Roland ;)
Another to recommend? Any Yamaha (more features, better sounds [1] no evil proprietary cable snake ;) )

Go hit some. Avoid entry dead-end level models- always go higher 2nd hand.

[1] subjective, obs,
cable snakes are unfairly criticised, nobody in a domicile setting is going to break one and they are not expensive at all. not everyone is a pro drummer who packs their stuff up after every gig and always snags something on the cables. most e drums are never going to go out of the house.