Roger Taylor

Re: Roger Taylor - QUEEN

Roger Taylor - QUEEN:

Explaining his trademark "backbeat" thing, quite interesting and a bit more...

Enjoy it: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/rogertaylorondrums.html
I enjoyed that Ian. I suppose if I was so presumptuous to believe I have a "trademark" to my groove, it's actually the reverse of Roger's. I tend to open the hi hat by default at the same time as the bass drum, but only ever on the 1/4 note. I actually have to consciously stop myself from doing it. Strange eh!

I enjoyed that Ian. I suppose if I was so presumptuous to believe I have a "trademark" to my groove, it's actually the reverse of Roger's. I tend to open the hi hat by default at the same time as the bass drum, but only ever on the 1/4 note. I actually have to consciously stop myself from doing it. Strange eh!

Andy, I am glad that you enjoyed it!

From my point of view. I think it is a "natural thing" on you to emphasize, accentuate "the first beat in a pattern" by having the hi-hat open and bass drum kicked together.
Surely, is your trademark: "Andy's strange trademark" so don´t stop it... keep it up! :)

I tend to open the hi hat by default at the same time as the bass drum, but only ever on the 1/4 note.

Same here, funny, its kind of 'involuntary' and so bad that I too have to work really hard (i.e. think) to NOT do it. On the other hand, I really like's Roger's emphasis on 2 with the open hat, and wish that were more natural involuntary to me.

He's such a gentleman.

Either those are very large cymbals, or RT is very small.

Or is it a camera lens/perspective effect?

On the other hand, I really like's Roger's emphasis on 2 with the open hat, and wish that were more natural involuntary to me.
I am way too fond of opening my hats, but just about the only place I don't like it is in regular conjunction with the 2 & 4, as was very popular for a while. However, Roger seems to open them much less far and for a shorter duration, and I found it surprisingly pleasing, even given my predilection.

Man, his rack tom was ginormous.

(And, yes, I know this is an old thread.)

Back