Jamie Oldaker

That's too bad. He is the third drummer listed here as passed away in the past couple weeks. You never realize how short life is until you hit 60 and then you have to come to grips with not having as much time left as you've already spent. Word to all you young folks, don't waste it. You are not invincible and believe it when I say, the older you get the faster life goes by.

That Tulsa Shuffle on Cocaine & You Look Wonderful Tonight. And don’t forget I Shot the Sheriff...way better than the original.

That's too bad. He is the third drummer listed here as passed away in the past couple weeks. You never realize how short life is until you hit 60 and then you have to come to grips with not having as much time left as you've already spent. Word to all you young folks, don't waste it. You are not invincible and believe it when I say, the older you get the faster life goes by.

I'm in my forties, John, but I try to remain perpetually cognizant of your alert. Every moment we have as drummers, like every moment we have here on earth, is to be treated as a preciously temporary arrangement. I hope to make optimal use of my remaining time as a musician. Taking nothing for granted is how I start each day; being thankful that I've completed another day is how I end each night.

Reactions: TJK
Rest in peace, Mr. Oldaker. I loved his playing, especially with Clapton. I'm shocked by the news.

I'm pretty sure Jamie was responsible for designing Zildjian's Cymbal Safe.

Here's a show he played with Clapton in 1985—it was the first time I'd seen EC, and there points during (the awesome version of) "Let It Rain" where you can see me! ...almost. You can see the row right in front of me. Story of my life.

Watching this just now, I'm wondering if he's why I loved ebony pinstripes in the 80s. Also, his fills on "Motherless Children" — whenever anyone asked who my favorite drummers ever were, I pretty much always mentioned him, but I never realized before how much I (poorly) based my own style so very much on his.

And don’t forget I Shot the Sheriff...way better than the original.

Literally the first time, out of the dozens of times I've heard the two versions compared, that I've ever encountered someone who thinks that. (Including Eric Clapton.)

Literally the first time, out of the dozens of times I've heard the two versions compared, that I've ever encountered someone who thinks that. (Including Eric Clapton.)

JO was masterful on the track and Clapton is a very modest dude

Here's a show he played with Clapton in 1985—it was the first time I'd seen EC, and there points during (the awesome version of) "Let It Rain" where you can see me! ...almost. You can see the row right in front of me. Story of my life.

Watching this just now, I'm wondering if he's why I loved ebony pinstripes in the 80s. Also, his fills on "Motherless Children" — whenever anyone asked who my favorite drummers ever were, I pretty much always mentioned him, but I never realized before how much I (poorly) based my own style so very much on his.
great show,he was spot on ! thks for sharing

I met him briefly at NAMM once, somewhat randomly. We just started talking walking down a hallway, and I didn't realize who he was at first. He seemed like a nice guy.

Of course, his playing career goes without question.

RIP

Back