Ride for Metal

ibrokemydrums

I'm looking for a ride, that has a really pingyish bell and good ride sound.
i really like the A Custom Ping Ride. I was wondering is there any rides that sound like that but are Sabian?
or just suggest your favorite for metal and hardcore music

22" AA Metal X

very little wash and excellent "PING".
AAX Metal ride i prefer, nicer ping, the bell on the metal x is too piercing, you can still have a loud bell without it shattering your ear drums.....

A custom pings arent good enough for metal, go Z custom power ride if you want zildjian , it has a great ping and great bell. if you want sabian i suggest HH power bell.

I use the 24" AA Metal X, and its a great ride, not really what you would expect from such a big cymbal as the wash is very controlled and the ping is much clearer than the Paiste Eclipse. The Bell is considerably smaller though.

Also, dont forget about Meinl! check out the MB20s/MB10s.

21" AA Raw Bell Dry ride, great bell, 22" AA Rock Ride, nice clear sticking anywhere on the cymbal and the monster 22" Paragon Ride, they describe it as 'robust' - they are not kidding!

hope that helps and good hunting man!

I use the 24" AA Metal X, and its a great ride, not really what you would expect from such a big cymbal as the wash is very controlled and the ping is much clearer than the Paiste Eclipse. The Bell is considerably smaller though.

Also, dont forget about Meinl! check out the MB20s/MB10s.
Also Meinl soundcasters have awesome rides, but agreed, the mb20 metal ride is awesome sounding.

The signature bell ride that is named Powerslave, sound clips here...

www.youtube.com/srgebel

if you want sabian i suggest HH power bell.

you would :p

i have the aa raw bell great ping on the bell with a much different effect when using the butt of the stick which also sounds great plus the ride is great on the body :)

you would :p

i have the aa raw bell great ping on the bell with a much different effect when using the butt of the stick which also sounds great plus the ride is great on the body :)
if i wasnt having a custom made ride cymbal being made for me, i would be getting that or the AAX rbdr

My criteria would be a ride that has a powerful bell and cut, but as mentioned, not the nasty, ear-splitting type of cut.

Paiste Dry Heavy Ride. 21" or bigger. Very Articulate and the bell will shatter windows.

I use a 20" paiste signature dry heavy ride and its absolutely gorgeous, but its musical too.
I used to have a 20" zildjian z custom power heavy ride (no misquotes there, it was older and had EXTRA POWAH) and it was like hitting a slab of metal, was pretty cool
Finally if you like sabian, AAX metal ride might be cool :p
These rides always cut through the audience naturally and recordings without even being mic'd up for me, they're ultimate

I will have to agree with anyone who mentioned the Zildjian Z custom power ride. I own one myself and would describe it as a nice metallic ride with very little wash and lots of stick definition. Good sounding bell wish it was a little bigger but great for metal/blast beats etc. The only ride I would trade for at the moment would be a Sabian HHX raw bell dry ride, those sound utterly amazing.

if i wasnt having a custom made ride cymbal being made for me, i would be getting that or the AAX rbdr
i take back this comment regarding the aax rbdr for metal. its not even close to good enough. no volume, weak bell (small as well) it is best used for regular rock and softer applications. its a good sounding ride, i just am going to be getting rid of it and getting something else.

Anyone interested?

My recommendations in order of preference.

22" sig power ride
22" z custom power ride
22" sabian HH power bell

Back