ride/crash with almost a triangle sound in it?

jasyr

I was listening to some soul/jazz & the ride was like nothing I've ever heard before. It had a shangalang sound that was sparkly and clean. Unfortunately i can't find the bookmark (I think) i made. It was a Ray Charles What I Say sort of tempo... from memory, it seems it would be not a very big cymbal, and it lacked a regular wash... It was this fricking triangle tone jumping around in the middle of a cymbal.

any help?

I was listening to some soul/jazz & the ride was like nothing I've ever heard before. It had a shangalang sound that was sparkly and clean. Unfortunately i can't find the bookmark (I think) i made. It was a Ray Charles What I Say sort of tempo... from memory, it seems it would be not a very big cymbal, and it lacked a regular wash... It was this fricking triangle tone jumping around in the middle of a cymbal.

any help?

Ooh, sounds nice, I’ve been seeking a sound like that

Possibly a Paiste 602? Many people describe some 602s having a "chime-like" sound to it. I never heard anyone saying a "triangle" sound, but "chime" could be a possible synonym. If the cymbal lacked the typical wash, perhaps there was some tape on the cymbal. Just a wild guess.

Your description makes me think of my 18” Paiste 602 Seven Sound Set Medium Flat Ride. It has a very pure ping with almost no wash. I love it.

/Magnus

I play Zildjians so this might explain the disorientation of the sound to me. And it was 60's music so 602 fits timeline. But 602 is B20, no?

i just checked out a 18" 602 Flat on youtube... it has too much ping... perhaps a thinner flat/near flat of some sort?

Though as an owner of a Tosco 18" Flat Ride, i didn't think at the time it was in the Flat zone. It bounced more like it had a bell, more fat, with it's own chiming delay going on, if that makes any sense. God i wish i knew where that audio was. But I'd know it if i heard it again. Ya though, Paiste makes sense.

It could also be a 20" 602 Flat ride, or, as you suggest, a thin rather than medium. Also, don't forget that recording technique affects sound a lot.

/Magnus

Ya, i only know my Tosco. I got it w/o checking the spectrum of Flats. It was a good price and just appeared on eBay, so scooped it up. Figured it would get me in the game. Later i did check out a few on YouTube and was like whoa, mine doesn't crash like any of those. But i like it. Doesn't really mix with most of my other cymbals...Rotocast, and has that icey-in-a-good-way tone my 16" Zanchi also possesses.

When i get some time in the next couple days I'm going to go thru my web history and see if i can locate the song with this triangle cymbal. It's starting to bother me now so there's no instant answers.

After posting my first guess, I realized that it could be a flat ride too, as some of you suggested. I’m a flat ride freak, as you might have guessed from my avatar. I own several flats and the “chimiest” one I have is a blue label 20” 602 Heavy flat. I don’t think Paiste made a heavy flat in the 60s though.

Back