Restoring my first vintage snare!

Funnily enough it was the acid in the diet coke I was worried about, (I remember in elementary school being shown a nail dissolving when left in a glass of coke for a few days).

IF YOU USE FOIL, BE CAREFUL. If there is any questionable chrome plating, the aluminum foil CAN, flake it off. I had this happen to me in the last year at some point.
I know this might be hard to explain, but what constitutes as questionable?

-Jonathan

Funnily enough it was the acid in the diet coke I was worried about, (I remember in elementary school being shown a nail dissolving when left in a glass of coke for a few days).

I

I know this might be hard to explain, but what constitutes as questionable?

-Jonathan

’d say bubbling, peeling or flaking . In these cases the plating is not long for this earth anyway ( so have at it) , or if it’s only a small area stay away from it and just clean those small areas as best you can and make sure it’s dry before putting a protectant over it , and do the Intact areas with the foil. Not much pressure , or the least amount used to remove the rust should be used as it’s the friction and reaction that causes the ( aluminum oxide) rust to oxidize . that’s not to say you can’t rub harder( the foil is softer ) Yours chrome looks in good shape as far as I can tel from pics . Go lightly and slow at first and increase as necessary ?? Use without soda first , then use if needed . You wanna use the least aggressive action to achieve the desired result

Back