Regal Tip out of business?

Not sure about elsewhere in the world but they've lost their distributor here in the UK. Nobody's picked them up here so only option is importing from Thomann or US with crazy additional charges.

I don't understand. I get the covid slowdown. But, these sticks appear to be wiped from the planet with little or no comment.

I have been playing RTs for almost 50 years. Tried every stick on the planet, and always eventually came back to my RTs. Not good.

My local drum store has called and emailed them to order more sticks. No response. The store has reached out to Guitar Center and Sam Ash to see if they can order sticks from Regal. No luck.

What's the latest status on RT?

I am back to gigging next weekend. Just went to order my RT sticks, and I can't find them anywhere on the planet. Ugh.
It's certainly a shame. I've been calling call, sending emails, ask my local music store about what's going on. No one seems to have answers. I notice that some models are available on the RT website for, what I assume is, direct purchase. However, the selection is very limited. Which leads me to speculate that once they are out of this supply, they may be done? I don't know for sure, but it sure seems bleak.

I have done my part - in the form of writing to them, and also asking my local dealer to get the story. I will post anything I learn.

My local dealer just wrote back to me - saying he reached them, and ordered 12 pair of my sticks - RT Jazz Nylon. I guess we will see if they arrive.

In the meantime, if you are struggling finding your stick, there is a chance there is an equivalent at - Promark.

I have tried many sticks over the years. Liked them at first, but always switched back to RT because it wasn't quite right. Often, the weight wasn't right.

Don't know why I didn't find these previously, but I ordered and tried a Promark Jazz Nylon stick. Specs are nearly identical to RT Jazz Nylon.
Most important, the weight was right. They are actually a little lighter than the RT, which for me, is a good thing.

I will try LDD's suggestion of actually calling them. My local drum shop (and a few other retailers in a 50-ish mile radius of me in NJ) are sold out of the model I personally love - the 5A E-series. If and when I get an order I making it like a brick or two so I never run out again. LOL.

In the meantime, if you are struggling finding your stick, there is a chance there is an equivalent at - Promark.

Unless Promark are making glossy lacquer sticks in many sizes, I don't think many Regal customers are going to make the switch. My hands don't sweat like apparently everyone else's do, and Promark's satin finish doesn't stay in my hands. Vic Firth's doubleglaze is the closest thing I've found.

Regal have been hard to reach for some time before the pandemic hit. I ordered a few pairs of sticks from them through 2112 about three years ago and they still took six months. And at first they sent me raw/unfinished sticks, which is totally not what I ordered.

I get it.

Fortunately, the RT finish isn't what kept me with them all those years. I'm comfortable with any finish. I have been known to take a sanding pad and scuff my sticks. But, the weight for me is critical, and never found sticks that had dimensions and weights that were *right* for me - until I found that Promark stick.

A little encouraging news. I placed another order for more Jeff Porcaro sticks. This time, my order was marked "shipped" within 2 days of placing the order. Whatever the hold up was with my last order appears to have been rectified. I hope your orders go as smoothly, too.

I've been wanting to play some Regal Tip sticks for a while now. No one has stocked them locally for 25+ years, but all of the talk in this thread has me interested in getting some again. I managed to find a stick I wanted (5BX) in stock at Regal Tip. Hopefully it won't be a 6 month wait...and hopefully more of their models will be available again soon. There are several more models I want to try.

I managed to find a stick I wanted (5BX) in stock at Regal Tip. Hopefully it won't be a 6 month wait...and hopefully more of their models will be available again soon. There are several more models I want to try.

That's my weapon of choice (when I can find them). I have one, unused pair left and don't want to open them for fear of not being able to replace them.
I've been on a "stick kick" lately of trying to find "The One" to replace them with no real success. I got 2 pairs of the Vinnie Paul sigs for $13 (couldn't pass those up), but they're too heavy & long.
My Thomas Lang sigs (even heavier) are great practice (or marching) sticks, but not good for drum set use unless you're actually Thomas Lang. ?

I've tried Pro Mark, Vic Firth and a dew others.
I'll keep looking if RT does go belly up.

Another quick update. I ordered 10 pairs on April 10th and the tracking shows they will be delivered this Friday. Much faster than my last order. I hope things stay this way with RT. (y)

Hmm, it's interesting to hear the different stories.

I originally reported that my dealer ordered a dozen pair and thought he received tracking info.

He wrote to me yesterday saying he takes it back. Order is now listed as back ordered with no ETA.

For now, I have switched over to Promark Jazz Nylons which are nearly identical in length, width, and weight to my RT Jazz Nylons.

Hmm, it's interesting to hear the different stories.

I originally reported that my dealer ordered a dozen pair and thought he received tracking info.

He wrote to me yesterday saying he takes it back. Order is now listed as back ordered with no ETA.

For now, I have switched over to Promark Jazz Nylons which are nearly identical in length, width, and weight to my RT Jazz Nylons.
A rep for Regal Tip emailed me after my first order finally shipped. She told me that the reason it took so long was because they were sold out.
I don't have an issue with an item being sold out, but their communication about it should have been quicker and better. It does appear to be fixed, though, because my second order was shipped 2 days after purchase and is being delivered today. I don't feel leery about doing business with them now.

That's the kind of sugar papa likes!

20210416_184225_copy_800x529.jpg20210416_184319_copy_800x600.jpg

So, I had to brag that finish isn't really relevant to me. :)

So yesterday I had a first gig since last year. Outside. Cold. Using the new Promark sticks, which I judged to be a near clone of the RT Jazz Nylons.

I haven't had a blister or cut on my hands since my teens, when I played like an animal. I'm pushing 6 decades, and I play very differently now - loose grip, lighter touch.

Well, my left pinky blistered and ripped deep, and I spent the second half of the gig sticking it out and removing it from the left grip.

:) Felt good to play out again though.

The Promark sticks I were using as a replacement for RT Jazz Nylons are now also discontinued.

Does anyone have any up to date info on Regal Tip?

Back