Regal Tip out of business?

I don't know if anyone uses the Regal Tip "Rock" size, but I just happened to notice this:

https://www.drummingdeals.com/products/regal-road-series-rock-nylon-tip-brick-of-12

It's the Road Series and not the regular version, but it might be better than nothing.
It also ends very soon!
Update:
Well, I decided to give these a try. Unfortunately, these are not what I hoped they'd be. They are close to the same dimensions as the normal RT Rock, but aren't exact. They are a bit thicker right before the tip. I tried to do a little research before I ordered and what I found led me to believe that they have the RT finish - they definitely do not.

If you're looking for the finish, don't bother with these.

And their finish is half the reason I love them!
Dang... :confused:
If you want that feel, use Krylon Triple Thick Glaze.
2 coats, and it's just like RT.
I was informed by a long time endorser that Carol Calato had passed away sometime earlier in the year (2021). That was crappy news to hear.
I believe he said her daughter was in charge, or running things, but he just moved on from the company because he just couldn't get sticks--and that's not good when on tour.
The feel of the RT stick is one of them main things for him too, and I told him about the Krylon spray. He was sold on it too.

Attachments

• TripleThickGlaze.jpg
    TripleThickGlaze.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 2
I was informed by a long time endorser that Carol Calato had passed away sometime earlier in the year (2021). That was crappy news to hear.
I believe he said her daughter was in charge, or running things, but he just moved on from the company because he just couldn't get sticks--and that's not good when on tour.
The feel of the RT stick is one of them main things for him too, and I told him about the Krylon spray. He was sold on it too.

WAIT! WHAT?!?!

Michelle, Kathy’s daughter has been running the AR side of things for a few years now. Kathy moved down to Florida a long time ago, and I believe was heading up Direct Music Supply. The distribution company Calato MFG owns, but I’ve not heard anything about Carol. Last I spoke to her was about a year and a half ago, and Joe celebrated his 100th birthday earlier this year.

UPDATE:
I googled “Carol Calato” and the most recent thing was a news story in the Niagara Gazette about the student awarded the Carol Calato Scholarship, dated September 1, 2021, and there was a photo. I assume that means she’s still alive and well.

also, I saw a post on Drumforum from May 18, 2021 by a member who said he hung with Carol at his gig in Buffalo.

Last edited:
What a coincidence...I actually have a can of this at the house. I use it to seal my artwork. 🤘 🤘
I'll try it out for sure!
WAIT! WHAT?!?!

Michelle, Kathy’s daughter has been running the AR side of things for a few years now. Kathy moved down to Florida a long time ago, and I believe was heading up Direct Music Supply. The distribution company Calato MFG owns, but I’ve not heard anything about Carol. Last I spoke to her was about a year and a half ago, and Joe celebrated his 100th birthday earlier this year.

UPDATE:
I googled “Carol Calato” and the most recent thing was a news story in the Niagara Gazette about the student awarded the Carol Calato Scholarship, dated September 1, 2021, and there was a photo. I assume that means she’s still alive and well.

also, I saw a post on Drumforum from May 18, 2021 by a member who said he hung with Carol at his gig in Buffalo.
Seems not everything we read on the internet is true, huh? 😑
You being endorsed by them would have me taking your word over anyone else.

I got an email from Carol Camaro last week so news of her demise are premature and unfounded .

Michelle Calato messaged me and told me that she resigned two mo the ago and is volunteering to stay in to clear up the email backlog .

Michelle Calato posted this on IG last week.

Well I guess now that it's public...

I wasn't going to say anything, but...

I spoke with Michelle a little over a week ago. She, let me know that she and some others left the company a few months ago, and also went into some detail about the above post.

Here's my situation as a Regal Tip Artist.

I put a stick order in on May 11. About a month after I got an update saying the stamp to print the sticks was damaged and the reason for the delay was that they needed a new one. Then in early August (3 months later) I got a message on IG saying my sticks were scheduled to be printed the following day. Then nothing... Today is October 23, over 5 months since I placed the order. I've received nothing. I've emailed, I've called and left voice mails, and none of my messages have been returned. It would seem that for now the company is inactive.

As some of you know, I just spend the better part of two months on the road. Recording in Nashville, and touring coast-to-coast with 4 different bands. I have more national dates on the calendar in November and December, as well as International dates all next year. By the time I was wheels up for the tours I had only 1 pair of my sticks left. Needless to say I have been using another brands of sticks to complete all of my performance obligations, and will continue to do so until (or IF) Calato ever gets straight.

Not to stir the pot or anything, but...

Earlier this month Regal Tip president, Carol Calato, was on a podcast talking about the business. It's origins and history, and what it takes to run a successful company. No mention of the current state of affairs at all, just business as usual.

Anyone who wants a listen can find it here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6yVS0VnBaqoGvCdHh6X8JB?si=840dcdc947b9465c

Not to stir the pot or anything, but...

Earlier this month Regal Tip president, Carol Calato, was on a podcast talking about the business. It's origins and history, and what it takes to run a successful company. No mention of the current state of affairs at all, just business as usual.

Anyone who wants a listen can find it here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6yVS0VnBaqoGvCdHh6X8JB?si=840dcdc947b9465c
After your stick issues, then you hear on her podcast of running a successful business?
What da fuq??

Sadly, most who loved and used their sticks have since written them off & went elsewhere. I have 1 pair of 5b's left & those are now on permanent pad duty.

All good things...:(

Last edited:
None of this comes as a surprise for me, at least. I wrote them off essentially in 1993 when I wrote them a letter with constructive criticism about quality control. I received a rude response that sent me looking at the other brands. At that point, Zildjian and Vater had become major players, in addition to Vic Firth, so there were options, including Cappella as well. In the years since the mid 90's I've played mostly Vater, and their private label offerings, along with Pro-Mark. As the D'Addario era has moved along, the sticks had improved a bit, only slip during the last several years. Vater and LA Backbeat these days for me. Once Joe Sr. Left Regal, that was the beginning of the end.

Really? Wow, that's extremely stupid. Some of the 'brick & mortar's' around here are pretty stupid. And they wonder why we order online. :rolleyes:
Yeah, actually the response was from one of the family members (second generation). What I've found over the years, with family businesses, is, by the time it gets down to the grandchildren, things can really go sideways. Not, always, but many times I've seen this in my business career. That's why I've always liked working for mid-sized corporations vs. family businesses. You're less likely to get cought up in their family drama, and still not have all the nonsense of a large, cumbersome corporation. Just a thought.

Regal Tip is done in my town , none of the brick and mortar shops here want anything to do with them anymore . Very sad state of affairs to be honest .

Actually no, one of the "adult " children of the founder, which was worse than any "corporate suit" when you consider how innovative the man who started the company was in his day.
I'm gonna guess you haven't seen "Horrible Bosses" as that is Colin Farrell's character Bobby Pellitt. He took over his father's company after his death and used it "as my personal ATM".
A little context and it sounds like it might have been spot on, lol

Back