Recorded myself 9 times to play some DCI

Nice! You make for a good snare line. But to be completely accurate, you should be playing traditional grip.

In the 80s we continuously alternated between traditional and matched grip on the snare line. So glad that I learned both.

Nicely done…wasn’t sure about the topless dude, but I guess he needed to get something off his chest? :unsure:😁 Sounded great mate, well played!😀(y)

Nice, precise, and tight!

But to be completely accurate, you should be playing traditional grip.
Corps/drumlines mostly switched to matched grip in the '70/80s with the changeover from slings to 'carriers'. In addition to keeping the snares stable, they were kept level, which lent itself to matched grip.

Nice, precise, and tight!

Corps/drumlines mostly switched to matched grip in the '70/80s with the changeover from slings to 'carriers'. In addition to keeping the snares stable, they were kept level, which lent itself to matched grip.
Maybe there was a brief transition back then, but I don't know of a single corps today that marches matched grip. Even in the 90s when I marched, every DCI corps was traditional. Sure, sometimes a snare line will switch over to matched for visual effect, but 99% of the time its traditional grip.

I will have a closer look!

Drum Corps are definitely traditional grip these days.

This is the opening movement from Carolina Crown's 2021 show. It's easier music as far as DCI is concerned, and short, so figured it was a good challenge for me to learn.

Nice syncopation of videos! Very consistent with your stick height and rhythm dude!

Thanks guys, I've been wanting to do this for a long time now! I should find some music that's a bit more challenging next. I have the snare break from SCV for this year but that's *way* more difficult.

cool...how many different toques do you own?

9. 7 of them were made by my grandad, and I covet those.

Wow Drummerworld is being weird, it's not letting me do a whole post, I'll try and split it up.

In regards to the whole matched/traditional thing, to paraphrase Tommy Igoe....who cares? But really, my marching band in high school did matched grip. I never learned traditional grip. Never care to. It seems to be a waste of time when I can spend it practicing something else. I don't see the need.

As far as Corps doing it, yes a lot of Corps transitioned to Matched in the mid/late 70s, especially SCV, but they went back to mostly traditional grip by the mid 80s (I've been watching lots of DCI shows on youtube this summer, and that seems to be what I've noticed). SCV actually did briefly go back to matched grip in the mid 00's, I actually saw them live several times during that period as my brother was marching Euphonium with the Oregon Crusaders. I really respected them for that. There's no competition benefit as far as scoring, corps just do traditional grip because, it's, well, tradition.

Very nice control.. and don't worry bout trad grip unless for some reason you are walking into battle..

you had a switch over to some trad in the 70's as the drums went to carriers

by the 80's, most of the "Big Boys" were back to traditional; but you would see some matched in Open Class - younger - corps (called A and A-60)

by the 90's some people had figured out how rig the carriers, or the apparatus that held the drum on the carrier, to tilt, so then you had people going back to the tilt.

in 2005, Ralph Hardimon had SCV do a low slung, forward tilt, matched grip technique that for many people, was not his best moment (coming off of one of the best drum books/shows ever in 2004 and Sheherezade...that line could play!!)

now many of the carrier companies can have the drums tilted. We use Tama marching drums, and I have mine tilted about 15º for our traditional grip. I have used trad grip for about 15 years...I was one of those people who did some drilling and other "band room mechanics" to get my old harnesses to tilt.

I too, do not like trad on a flat drum b/c (to me) it wrenches the left wrist into a very uncomfortable placement...

Very cool video, made me think of this Thomas Lang video on his specific thoughts on trad vs match. I recall his switch but wasn’t aware of his surgery

Very cool video, made me think of this Thomas Lang video on his specific thoughts on trad vs match. I recall his switch but wasn’t aware of his surgery

This is how I've always felt about traditional. "Why?" My HS drumline played matched my first two years, and when we got a new band director and switched to traditional I was on tenors so never bothered learning.

Back