Re-introducing myself - Hello from Boise, Idaho

flamateurhour

Hey ya'll!

Just made a new account because of some problems with the email address linked to my previous account (Flamateur_Hour).

I'm a drummer from Boise, Idaho. I'm 28, but have actually been with you lots ince I was about 13 or so, either as a lurker or under previous usernames. I've appreciated all of the advice (sound or not haha) that I've received over the years, and definitely owe it to you lot for both stoking my thirst for musical knowledge and also providing me a fantastic platform to help with everything drums, be it purchases, career moves, or just general music advice.

I've primarily been a rock n' roll drummer, influenced (via ya'lls direction) by holy circle of fantastic Brits as 80% of us (Bonham, Baker, Mitchell, Starr, etc...), the jazz artists that influenced them (Roach, Cobham, Elvin, Williams, etc...), and the studio giants that succeeded them (Porcaro, Gadd, JR, Blaine, etc...). The modern drummers that "have my heart" so to speak are usually individuals that are tapped into this same vein. In short, I like rock n' roll cats with studio precision and a certain cool vintage jazz or psychedelic rock aesthetic. Lately I've been on a big Jon Theodore kick because of his work on the first three Mars Volta records. Other than that, I seem to be into a different drummer every week (largely in part to Nick Ruffini's Drummer's Resource Podcast).

I currently play in a old-time rock n' roll group "Rider & Rolling Thunder", a 9-piece psychedelic chamber ensemble titled "Wend", and my main project, a 7-piece rock n' roll horn band named "Lounge on Fire".

Anyways, I just wanted to touch bass (heh) and re (re?) introduce myself. Hope you are all doing fantastic!!

Obligatory87010

Advinghelli

Idaho represent. I've been stationed at Mountain Home AFB for a year now. It's a great state. Any cool drum related places in Boise? I've been to guitar center and some pawn shops.

flamateurhour

Idaho represent. I've been stationed at Mountain Home AFB for a year now. It's a great state. Any cool drum related places in Boise? I've been to guitar center and some pawn shops.
Not much in the way of drum-specific locations. Gig's Music has some cool stuff sometimes, 12th Fret Music started carrying SJC in the last few years so that's cool. Lots going on musically in town though, especially if independent music is your thing. Boise is becoming a popular stop for awesome medium/small bands that hit the Seattle/Portland/Denver circuit regularly. Because of that, our local 5-day festival, "Treefort Music Festival" is booming. I'd highly suggest that if you're a music (and beer) lover. Like I said, 5 days of music. They've been booking ~500 bands and the whole downtown shuts down for it. Every bar or cafe that can/has hosted live music becomes a mini-festival showcase of a certain genre. It's pretty awesome. It's largely neo-soul, indie-rock, punk, hip-hop, and psychedelic stuff, but they usually manage to bring a few outliers from metal and jazz as well (Christian Scott is a headliner this year). The main catch is that it's a "music discovery" festival so they're purposely booking acts that aren't on most peoples radar in order to expose them to new sounds.

Welcome to Idaho though, and thank you for your service!

Advinghelli

Woah, treefort music festival sounds really cool. Hopefully they have some stuff that is chill with dry drums. Neo soul, and psych sound great. Gig's and 12th fret sound like good spots to check out. Thanks for your support. Idaho has been awesome.