Rack ID

K Chez

So I was gifted these rack pieces a while back and they've just been sitting, but now I may have a use for them just will need some additional parts. Not ever having used a rack system, I'm not well versed in mfg's, etc., no branding anywhere. Anyone know what this is? Any help appreciated - thanks!

Rack-1.jpg

Rack-2.jpg

Rack-3.jpg

Yeah, knew it was from some kind of electronic kit, the fluted tubing I hadn't seen before on racks and hardware compatibility was what I was wondering about. What is the standard size tubing on them? (if there is a standard) Was hoping using it was a possibility thinking that it would be a less expensive route than buying a bunch of stands.

What is the standard size tubing on them?
1.5" O.D.
Yours looks smaller, but it might just be that the pics don't have anything to reference scale.

When you say "now I may have a use for them", are you intending on mounting toms and cymbals off it, or something else?

Hard to tell. The joints are featured on the racks many e-kits, mostly the cheaper ones (notably the house brands of major retailers). The joints look similar like the ones on my Alesis DM10 rack, but the tubes are smooth and not 'ribbed'. Haven't seen those pipes recently. I'm sure that any generic tube will fit in the joints.

Last edited:
I don't see many black racks, mostly chrome. You okay with that chopping up the image of what the audience sees out front (if you gig).

1.5" O.D.
Yours looks smaller, but it might just be that the pics don't have anything to reference scale.

When you say "now I may have a use for them", are you intending on mounting toms and cymbals off it, or something else?
Yes, that was my next question - would an electronic kit rack be sturdy enough to mount acoustic drums and cymbals? I was given a bunch of random shells and have enough to piece together a franken-kit - 10, 12, 13, 14 toms & a 16 floor. Was thinking 3 up and the 14 as a floor along with the 16.

I don't see many black racks, mostly chrome. You okay with that chopping up the image of what the audience sees out front (if you gig).
Yeah, the black would work with what I have in mind - these drums are mismatched colors, so I would rewrap them, was thinking a yellow maple/black fade with a matte finish if it doesn't sound like a mess.

Yes, that was my next question - would an electronic kit rack be sturdy enough to mount acoustic drums and cymbals?

It might be possible with a metal crossbar, but I wouldn't. Too many obstacles.
You never said, but if it's not 1.5" O.D., it'll be an even tougher battle.

Are you setting this up once and leaving it, or will it travel?
Are you trying to avoid traditional stands to save a buck?

It might be possible with a metal crossbar, but I wouldn't. Too many obstacles.
You never said, but if it's not 1.5" O.D., it'll be an even tougher battle.

Are you setting this up once and leaving it, or will it travel?
Are you trying to avoid traditional stands to save a buck?
Sorry, was away. Yes, it is 1.5" tubes. There's a possibility it could travel, but more than likely it will just be a stay-at-home kit. And yes, since it's just going to be kit #3, I'm not looking to break the bank, just using what I have at my disposal & keep whatever spending I have to do to a minimum.
My main is a great sounding set, but impractical to drag around to gigs. I have a smaller set-up with a lot of multi-clamps on minimal number of stands so it works for playing out, usually just fill ins here & there. I kept lucking out with people giving me shells here and there, so now there's enough to put something together, so why the hell not. Could always sell it as a complete at some point if I decide to. Plus taking a bunch of random stuff and making into something usable is fun.

Sorry, was away. Yes, it is 1.5" tubes. There's a possibility it could travel, but more than likely it will just be a stay-at-home kit. And yes, since it's just going to be kit #3, I'm not looking to break the bank, just using what I have at my disposal & keep whatever spending I have to do to a minimum.
My main is a great sounding set, but impractical to drag around to gigs. I have a smaller set-up with a lot of multi-clamps on minimal number of stands so it works for playing out, usually just fill ins here & there. I kept lucking out with people giving me shells here and there, so now there's enough to put something together, so why the hell not. Could always sell it as a complete at some point if I decide to. Plus taking a bunch of random stuff and making into something usable is fun.

Wow, I was seeing this as much smaller. I think the size of the rubber feet threw me off.
That's great that it's 1.5" tubing because clamps are readily available. One big concern of mine would be if the plastic clamps for the crossbar have enough grip to prevent the tube from rotating. There's a considerable amount of torque on a crossbar, since most everything hangs off of one side, and I fear plastic isn't going to provide enough clamping force to keep it from rotating. You could put a set screw through them, but set-up and tear down would suffer (why I asked about travel) and it could compromise the integrity of the plastic clamp. The thickness of those plastic parts will also obviously play a factor in it's sturdiness. Only you can determine if they are built strong enough to hold what you intend. 3 toms and a few cymbals add up quickly.
What also adds up quickly is the price of hardware. Clamps, tom arms, mini-boom stands, etc...You'll just have to do the math to see if you'll come out ahead of stands or not.
I agree, that it could be a fun project if you keep your expectations realistic.
Keep us posted.

Will do, brother and thanks for the insight and info. As luck would have it, the person I got the shells from has a gibraltar rack he's looking at parting with. Thinking the black one I have might be to an older Simmons kit. Would have made sense if the clamps had a corresponding notch to lock into the flutes on the tube to prevent it from possibly twisting, but they don't. Gonna have to do some math to figure the least expensive route to go. Should be a fun project though. I'll be documenting the build as I go through it.

Back