questions about switching to an electric kit

dpakman91

I recently bought a condo and moved out of my mom's house. So far, I haven't brought my drums here.

Playing an acoustic drumset at full or even average volume wouldn't really be against the rules as long as it was during the day (between 10 and 7, say) but I haven't been feeling like i'd be too comfortable with it.

It would go in my basement most likely, which is separated by only some thin drywall, even with gaps in the wall in places, from the common basement area, where the washer and dryers are for everyone to use, etc.

I've been thinking about switching to an electric set for practicing here, and then I can still use my acoustic set to gig and when i practice at my bandmate's place.

A bunch of questions:

1) what's the minimum electric drumset i'd need to be comfortable with it allowing me to practice in a way that isn't totally different from acoustic? if the standard is all mesh heads, it looks like it's the $2500 roland...

2) if i practice 5 days a week on an electric kit, and then gig/practice once weekly on the acoustic kit, will it be very difficult to adjust when i go to the acoustic?

3) what else can people tell me about this situation?

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Playing on an electric kit is much different that playing on an acoustic kit. You will still need to find time to practice on your acoustic. Roland makes the best electric kits. If your not going to use the electric kit for playing with a band or recording then you will be spending cash that could be better spent elsewhere. I would recommend that you find a place where you can play your acoustic kit. Playing at the condo probably won't work out. There will be someone that will complain. It ain't easy being a drummer! I was once arrested for disturbing the peace while playing at a rented house. I had spoken with the neighbor and she said that I could play at certain times. She changed her mind and called the police a few weeks later. I had never broken the agreement that I had made with her. Thats the way people are when it comes to drums.

Playing on an electric kit is much different that playing on an acoustic kit. You will still need to find time to practice on your acoustic. Roland makes the best electric kits. If your not going to use the electric kit for playing with a band or recording then you will be spending cash that could be better spent elsewhere. I would recommend that you find a place where you can play your acoustic kit. Playing at the condo probably won't work out. There will be someone that will complain. It ain't easy being a drummer! I was once arrested for disturbing the peace while playing at a rented house. I had spoken with the neighbor and she said that I could play at certain times. She changed her mind and called the police a few weeks later. I had never broken the agreement that I had made with her. Thats the way people are when it comes to drums.
that makes me so mad. Calling the cops for drumming? come on.

I have a Roland TD-10 and actually it's good for the condo/apartment situation but actually one neighbor likes to bang on the wall when I'm hitting them. I would be better off with that DW practice kit. I use Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones and when I take them off, it's amazing how loud the pads sound when I'm striking them. And my electric kit is right next to their bedroom which doesn't help.

You can't beat an acoustic set. I need to play my acoustic one way more because the feels are completely different. The one good thing about roland kits is how you can play any snare drum, cymbal or tom by just hitting a button.

Monica McCoy

I have that $2,500 Roland electric set. It's the mid-range price one. I picked it up used in excellent condition for $1,100 off craigslist and the guy tossed in a DW5000 double base pedal.

I have it set up in the garage facing opposite my acoustic set. When it gets late, I spin the chair around and put the headphones on. Keeps the neighbors happy and allows me to play late at night which is when I am most motivated to hit them.

The highhats, even on the high-end models, all suck. It's delayed on the open/close and obviously you can't vary the degree to which you open it like with real cymbals. If it's not too late I'll use my zildjian hats with the electric set.

I agree it's totally different than the acoustic but it's still rather fun to play. You can switch to all different kinds of drums: jazz, metal, voices, hip-hop...there's like 100. It has also helped me being new to drumming. The metronome is built right in so I am more inclined to use it.

While I prefer to play my acoustic set, I am practicing a lot more having access to both. Good luck and hit 'em like they owe you money. :)