Puresound Snare wires

basset52

I bought a set of Puresound 14 " 20 strand Brass snare wires to try them. I notice the end plates are slightly angled so when they sit on the snare head the end of the wires sit slightly raised above the snare head. I note the info from Puresound says this is to prevent the snare wires choking , stop snare buzz and to get a better range of tension from the wires. I notice none of the other snare wires I have look like this, ie Ludwig, Canopus - they have flat end plates on the wires. What's your view of this? Gimmick or some real benefit?

cbphoto

Gold Member
I stopped by Pro Drum Shop a few years ago and the owner showed me exactly what you mention and said he wasn’t a believer. He considered it was a design flaw. I had tried one on a brass snare for a season but went back to a high-carbon Starclassic snappy. It was crisper when tensioned correctly. Any set of wires will choke a drum if tensioned too tight.

Peedy

I stopped by Pro Drum Shop a few years ago and the owner showed me exactly what you mention and said he wasn’t a believer. He considered it was a design flaw. I had tried one on a brass snare for a season but went back to a high-carbon Starclassic snappy. It was crisper when tensioned correctly. Any set of wires will choke a drum if tensioned too tight.
I had been thinking about sourcing some NOS Puresound wires for my Premier 2000 but I hold Pro Drum and their opinions in high regard so I’ll likely just stay with my Premier set.

Pete