Purdie shuffle for non-shuffle songs?

My point, lads, is that the Purdie shuffle--if we're defining it as a discrete, unassailable groove in which certain things happen and are played in a certain order--is a thing that exists regardless of time signature. You're letting the tail wag the dog. Again, I know it's a philosophical/semantic thing, but the Purdie shuffle is the Purdie shuffle is the Purdie shuffle. Don't tell me I can't call it that just because I'm superimposing it over some other time signature. Not thatI would. That's my issue here.

Anthony, thanks for the clarification. Do me a favor if you can: Play me the Purdie shuffle in 4/4. Then play me the exact same groove in 12/8, where the original quarter note pulse now equals a dotted quarter.

Are you telling me that I should be able to hear a difference between those two? I'm talking about with drums alone.

Anthony, thanks for the clarification. Do me a favor if you can: Play me the Purdie shuffle in 4/4. Then play me the exact same groove in 12/8, where the original quarter note pulse now equals a dotted quarter.

Are you telling me that I should be able to hear a difference between those two? I'm talking about with drums alone.
12/8 is a feel ... you can literally make anything mathematically work ... but 12/8 is a specific feel

allow Bernard himself to demonstrate

12/8 is a feel? Really? Then again, I would ask that you prove that to me by playing identical grooves, where the first one is in 4/4 and the second is in 12/8., with all other things being equal. The thing that often gives 12/8 its "feel" is the music happening around it, not the beat you play.

12/8 is a feel? Really? Then again, I would ask that you prove that to me by playing identical grooves, where the first one is in 4/4 and the second is in 12/8., with all other things being equal. The thing that often gives 12/8 its "feel" is the music happening around it, not the beat you play.
yes 12/8 is a feel

I've stated my case

you guys feel free to believe what you believe ... these are the way I see things and the way things are dealt with and talked about out here on the job.

be well

no one would write a "Purdie shuffle" in 12/8 because it doesn't feel that way

you can make anything work mathematically ... literally anything

but music is not math ... music is feels

No one would write a Purdie shuffle at all. That's my point. You're letting your conception of time signatures shape your whole perspective on music. What's ironic is you're then serving it up as professional knowledge "from the frontlines."

And I just might play a Purdie shuffle in 12/8 if the song called for it.

No one would write a Purdie shuffle at all. That's my point. You're letting your conception of time signatures shape your whole perspective on music. What's ironic is you're then serving it up as professional knowledge "from the frontlines."

And I just might play a Purdie shuffle in 12/8 if the song called for it.
ok

You know, Todd, I'll probably kick myself for even posting here at all. But honestly, it bums me out to watch you and Anthony spew your BS all over this forum. You're definitely the two most insufferable blowhards here, and it's a shame those who are less experienced with drumming have to constantly take it. That's all.

I enjoyed your video Tony-nice.This video is an excellent video of the Making of "Home at Last" with Fagan and Becker. Near end you get to watch Purdie play his shuffle then at about 4:17 they isolate the actual track. His showing helps sorta but listening to the isolated track you can really "feel it" then.
. I listened and watched this a million times to finally figure it out. I call it the Purdie stutter/jig/pause thingy he does with the half time shuffle-in my layperson terms LOL.

Well Nick, since you just returned from your ‘vacation’, why not calm down a little..?

Those 2 people rarely talk any BS..

It's an interesting topic I'd like to learn more without all the friction. I agree Oldskool no BS nor suffer fools either (which I sometimes fall in that category but they tolerate me LOL).

Bernard can call it whatever he wants.

You're right, he calls it whatever he wants, and if he plays in 12/8 and calls it a "Purdie Shuffle", then it is a Purdie Shuffle.
Then, I perfectly know the difference between the 4/4 and 12/8 versions.

In my book there are many other examples that I've never seen in any other book.
"Fun, inspiring, and educational" Modern Drummer Magazine, 2019

Back