Purdie shuffle for non-shuffle songs?

mrfingers

Just played Manic Depression and added a Purdie shuffle segment through the song, alternating with another standard rhythm M Mitchell used. Anybody else try this or something similar?

I can imagine that sounding pretty cool. Like superimposing an alternate feel on top of what we expect. Very inventive.

The Purdie halftime shuffle would probably fit over many straight 8 feel tunes just fine. I'm thinking of "My Sharona" just off the top of my head. It works.

Very rarely, and only when I'm feeling it, (and when it would sound cool...and the band can pull it off...) I'll gently force the shuffle feel in a straight 8 feel song for a progression of a solo just for fun and freshness. But that probably doesn't count.

I'm not sure what counts. I "ride" behind the one solo we do on Aretha's "Chain of Fools" with a quarter note cowbell pulse to give it a swamp feel, then we go into "Born in the Bayou" then we go back to "COF" to end it. Does that count?

I did set the lyrics of the Flintstones theme song to the Munster's instrumental theme song once.

Last edited:
you played in 4/4 in a 3/4 tune ?

and Manic Depression is definitely a shuffle feel song

Last edited:
The Purdue shuffle fits over manic Depression because their meters are both triplet based.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't the PS fit over any straight 4/4 tune that's within the tempo range where I can use the PS?

Sure it would change the feel, but mathematically, it should work, yes?

being mathematically compatible and being in the same meter doesn't mean it works

go play a 4/4 half time shuffle over the 3/4 Manic Depression ... I just did it ... it sounds like someone either trying their hardest to get fired or chase an audience as far from the stage as possible ... or both

again ... Manic Depression is a shuffle ...

OK maybe it doesn't work, bad choice of words. But it will fit right?

Like I'm imagining "My Sharona" with a halftime PS, and while it doesn't work, it does fit.

Am I off there?

you can literally make anything "fit" anywhere ... but that would sound unbelievably horrible unless whoever you were playing with swung My Sharona

One could play the Purdie shuffle in 12/8 or even 3/4, so it's possible to fit it into other time signatures. Purdie himself plays it in 12/8 on his educational video, and I've seen him play it that way on tunes when I've seen him in person.

One could play the Purdie shuffle in 12/8 or even 3/4, so it's possible to fit it into other time signatures. Purdie himself plays it in 12/8 on his educational video, and I've seen him play it that way on tunes when I've seen him in person.
you can play any groove in any time signature ... but I only consider a halftime shuffle in 4/4 the "Purdie shuffle"

Home At Last ... that's a "Purdie shuffle"

you put it in a different time signature and you have something entirely different

in 12/8 it's just a 12/8 groove with ghost notes placed between the shuffle beats

Just played Manic Depression and added a Purdie shuffle segment through the song, alternating with another standard rhythm M Mitchell used. Anybody else try this or something similar?

There's no guarantee it would sound good in a playing situation, because it always depends on the context, but as en exercise I think it is always interesting.
It would take four bars of 9/8 (or 3/4 with triplets) to play one bar of half-time shuffle.

I try many things that are similar, there is a full section on "rhythmic modulation" in my Time Manipulation Drum Book.

I plan to make better sounding videos (use headphones to hear the bass drum), but here you can hear a few examples:

Wouldn't the Purdie shuffle sound identical in 4/4 or 12/8? This is a semantic discussion, right?

Back