Proposed Trade Renown for Genista. Yay or Nay

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
The British made Genistas are more valuable than the Asian Renowns. And better made drums. I love Gretsch in all ways from Cats all the way up to high end, but a British made Genista kit is The Bomb.

Genistas were great by any standard. They collectible. They sound great.

Drawback to Genistas and Signas: the weight. They are heavy if you plan to gig with them.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Not really. Premier marching snares with snares under both the batter and reso heads back in 70's were the best you could buy. And, Premier has always been known as a high-quality boutique sorta brand when it comes to drum kits. There's always been a mystique about Premier.

ALL Premier drums are underrated.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
ALL Premier drums are underrated.
Thats not really my experience, some Premier lines were excellent (Resonator, Genista, Signia as well as the project one snare drums) but some weren’t that great. I still have recurring nightmares about an Olympic series kit that use to disintegrate on me mid gig (I got tired of endless repairs and weak tonality). Conversely I used a Genista in small gig (self load in out) friendly sizes (10,12,14, 20) for a decade. Direct “slappy”birch sound nice design, lovely finishes (Damask Red - really deep blood red / claret colour). My point is some lines were/are better than others both in terms of sound and in terms of functionality.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Thats not really my experience, some Premier lines were excellent (Resonator, Genista, Signia as well as the project one snare drums) but some weren’t that great. I still have recurring nightmares about an Olympic series kit that use to disintegrate on me mid gig (I got tired of endless repairs and weak tonality). Conversely I used a Genista in small gig (self load in out) friendly sizes (10,12,14, 20) for a decade. Direct “slappy”birch sound nice design, lovely finishes (Damask Red - really deep blood red / claret colour). My point is some lines were/are better than others both in terms of sound and in terms of functionality.
You may be right or just got a bad set Captain. I've not yet played a bad Premier drum. Even the Olympics, and Beverleys I've played have been excellent drums. I have played a few bad DWs however.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
The British made Genistas are more valuable than the Asian Renowns. And better made drums. I love Gretsch in all ways from Cats all the way up to high end, but a British made Genista kit is The Bomb.

Genistas were great by any standard. They collectible. They sound great.

Drawback to Genistas and Signas: the weight. They are heavy if you plan to gig with them.

Since I've got at home a Signia and a Renown, I compared - sound of course - but also weights. The Renown is not that much lighter.
Calculation made : the 5 shells plus tom holder, the Signia is heavier of less than a kilo, which surprised me. The Signia Bass drum weights a ton, but, Renown tom tree and toms are heavier than Signia's. Notice that it's the former Renown with die cast hoops.

CYP47

Since I've got at home a Signia and a Renown, I compared - sound of course - but also weights. The Renown is not that much lighter.
Calculation made : the 5 shells plus tom holder, the Signia is heavier of less than a kilo, which surprised me. The Signia Bass drum weights a ton, but, Renown tom tree and toms are heavier than Signia's. Notice that it's the former Renown with die cast hoops.
I remember lugging my signias around when I had them a million years ago. The bass drum is ridiculously heavy.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Yup. It's always the kick drums that give me the most trouble bulk+size. The toms I don't mind as much because they're smaller.

QUOTE="Tamaefx, post: 1675583, member: 259743"]
[/QUOTE]