Pricing A 65ish Ludwig Kit?

Skyking

Can someone tell me how to price 4 piece champagne sparkle Ludwig kit is worth? Looks like the kit Michael Shrieve played at Woodstock. It's from the 60s, poor to fair condition, original hardware and heads. It's my kid sisters. Played by my deceased brother in law. I hope the link to the photo works.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1dgy9y7hLVRXoAJz9

That looks to be a Downbeat kit (12,14,20, Downbeat Snare) from 1965. A good cleaning and I'm sure it will be better than good. This was a transition time from Chrome over Brass (COB)hoops, to Chrome over Steel. A magnet will not stick to COB and the presence of COB hoops helps the value. I can't value it as a whole, but the snare and the 14" floor hold a majority of the value, as they are sought after. I am in no way saying split it up. Just giving you a better idea what you have.

That looks to be a Downbeat kit (12,14,20, Downbeat Snare) from 1965. A good cleaning and I'm sure it will be better than good. This was a transition time from Chrome over Brass (COB)hoops, to Chrome over Steel. A magnet will not stick to COB and the presence of COB hoops helps the value. I can't value it as a whole, but the snare and the 14" floor hold a majority of the value, as they are sought after. I am in no way saying split it up. Just giving you a better idea what you have.
Ill

The Downbeat snare .... people are asking CRAZY money for those on eBay. Not sure what they sell for, but ..... let's balllpark it at $300.
The 14x14 floor tom, I recently sold a 3 ply thermogloss for $520.
A 12x8 3 ply .... I sold for $177
I paid $296 for a 3 ply 22x14, recently.

So that put's your sisters kit at around $1300. Now .... the fact that this kit has existed as a whole kit all these years (not assembled as orphan drums) can add value. Of course buyers won't agree with that until they become sellers.

And if/when you/she decides to sell .... take some "presentation" photo's. Just the 4 drums ..... like this guy with 3. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-60...058959?hash=item2ad6a97fcf:g:9akAAOSwGOJdnzqM

Based solely on badge style (2nd generation 60s keystone with (R) symbol) and serial numbers of all 4 drums, it is solidly a 1965. And given other factors not visible in the photos, potentially Mar - Sep 1965.

Even if your sister is unable to clean it, it appears to be in very respectable condition & all original, and with the Downbeat configuration & Champagne Sparkle finish being very desirable, it should have excellent resale value.

Given this and comparing to some similar sold kits on Reverb with no cymbals and hardware (and some no snare), I would initially estimate it’s value closer to $2,000 - $2,500:

No snare...

No snare and non-original bass & tom mount...

Granted, it may take a bit to find the right buyer, but I would market the heck out of it...

— Take enticing photos... similar to Reverb ads above, and include any date stamps on shell interiors which can help validate a matching kit.

— Write a compelling description... one owner, all original, etc.

— List on multiple sites... Reverb, Facebook, VintageDrumForum.com, here, DrumForum.org, etc.

Potential buyers aware of the kit’s value won’t be deterred if only a little TLC is needed to bring it to it’s full potential.

Based solely on badge style (2nd generation 60s keystone with (R) symbol) and serial numbers of all 4 drums, it is solidly a 1965. And given other factors not visible in the photos, potentially Mar - Sep 1965.

Even if your sister is unable to clean it, it appears to be in very respectable condition & all original, and with the Downbeat configuration & Champagne Sparkle finish being very desirable, it should have excellent resale value.

Given this and comparing to some similar sold kits on Reverb with no cymbals and hardware (and some no snare), I would initially estimate it’s value closer to $2,000 - $2,500:

No snare...

No snare and non-original bass & tom mount...

Granted, it may take a bit to find the right buyer, but I would market the heck out of it...

— Take enticing photos... similar to Reverb ads above, and include any date stamps on shell interiors which can help validate a matching kit.

— Write a compelling description... one owner, all original, etc.

— List on multiple sites... Reverb, Facebook, VintageDrumForum.com, here, DrumForum.org, etc.

Potential buyers aware of the kit’s value won’t be deterred if only a little TLC is needed to bring it to it’s full potential.

EVERYTHING is original even the heads. The high hats are 15 inch Ludwigs made by Paiste. Can anybody tell me about them? Especially what are they worth? I'm thinking of making her an offer, OR should I tell her to keep the set all original equipment in order to sell. She also has a Zildjian A 22 inch ride? Sell separately?

Paiste made cymbals in 60's to be sold along with Ludwig drum kits as a package.
I had a Ludwig Paiste crash and have to say it was not Paiste's finest hour, but that was just one cymbal. They are B20 alloy.
A 60's Zil A 22 ride is much coveted. Were I you I'd take the whole enchilada and sell off what you don't want.

Opentune thanks for the reply, sorry I did not reply sooner, (serious life got in the way). Fact is, I have 3 kits and I am not into collecting the old stuff. Totally agree about the Ludwig/Paiste's...at least the hats. So I told her to keep it together ask $1500 for everything and expect a best offer. As for me I think there's already way too much used gear out there to even begin thinking about paying collectors pricing. But that's just one old guys opinion.

Back