Price Check On Noble and Cooley Snare

Hi there,
I was in my local drum shop in Toronto today and played a snare I really liked. A Noble and Cooley Snare, Solid Shell Classic 5 X 14, Clear Oil Finish (http://www.noblecooley.com/solid-shell-classics). It is lightly used (no marks or scuffs, excellent condition) and going for $900 CAD.

These drums are currently selling new at Memphis Drum Shop for $950 USD (roughly $1300 CAD).

I never buy a drum with a plan to sell it, but do like to consider resale value. Was curious about:

1. Does this seem like a fair price?
2. From what I can tell, it seems like I could get my money back down the line if I wanted. But what do people think about the resale of the N & C snares?
3. For N & C snare owners, were you happy with your purchase?

Thanks! Always appreciate the feedback!!

Very rarely have I gotten out of a resell more or even equal to what I paid. As for the Noble & Cooley and price point, it seems like a lot to me. Personally if I were getting a solid shell snare and had that much $ to spend I'd look for a Slingerland RadioKing. $950 would get you a good one. Here's the caveat to all I just wrote. If you like the drum and have the money......BUY IT.

Yes I'd say that's a fair price on a classic SS in excellent condition. This week's conversion rate at 900 CAD = $679. USD

Is the drum you're interested in a maple shell? I would just be certain it's the size you truly want. 5x14 is very versatile.

I own a clasic SS I bought in 1989. Back then I think they only offered maple shells but I couldn't be happier, it has great dynamic range for a wood drum and a good tuning range. They're great instruments.

They were common in the studios back in the 80's and 90's. The newer ones are still made just as well as those were and by the same family.
I sent mine back to them a few years ago for a factory refresh job and it came back looking and sounding practically new again. pic. below

I paid $500. 00 for a new one when I bought it 30 years ago. I think I could get that for it now. They'll retain their value.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yes I'd say that's a fair price on a classic SS in excellent condition. This week's conversion rate at 900 CAD = $679. USD

Is the drum you're interested in a maple shell? I would just be certain it's the size you truly want. 5x14 is very versatile.

I own a clasic SS I bought in 1989. Back then I think they only offered maple shells but I couldn't be happier, it has great dynamic range for a wood drum and a good tuning range. They're great instruments.

They were common in the studios back in the 80's and 90's. The newer ones are still made just as well as these were and by the same family.
I sent mine back to them a few years ago for a factory refresh job and it came back looking and sounding practically new again. pic. below

I paid $500. 00 for a new one when I bought it 30 years ago. I think I could get that or it now. They'll retain their value.
Thanks Jeremy, that's super helpful!

Back