Price Check and Question about used DW

Hey folks! I'm thinking of buying a used kit in my area (pic attached):

DW drums, the seller thinks from 1998 or 1999.
5pc red satin maple shells, internal drum mic system
10/12/14/16/22
Black, circular badge "DW drums all maple shell"

Couple questions:
1. Are these technically considered DW Collectors series? I heard they didn't start putting "collectors" on the badges til after 1999 or so?
2. Would these probably be keller shells, as opposed to a DW made shell?
3. Asking price is $2700 CAD, does that seem fair? They look to be in good condition.

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2361.JPG
    IMG_2361.JPG
    549 KB · Views: 27
Great kits.

They could be either Keller or DW's. own shell's as the Black/Chrome badge was the transition period.

Even before the name Collector's was put on the badge, they were called that already. Ther is no such thing as pre- collector's.

To know for sure you have to check the seam of the shell:
1635344397347.png

I would say that price is a bi ton the higher side, but if they are what you want, don't let prices hold you back (to a large extend)

for this 20+ year old kit.... yes for sure.

You can get a brand new Performance for roughly the same price.
Agreed... the price seems a little steep though those drums are probably really well made.

I would also encourage the OP to look at the DW Design series if a North American maple DW is of interest. Swap out the stock heads with your favourites and you've effectively got a DW Performance series kit, for less.

Last edited:
Agreed... the price seems a little steep though those drums are probably really well made.

I would also encourage the OP to look at the DW Design series if a North American maple DW is of interest. Swap out the stock heads with your favourites and you've effectively got a DW Performance series kit, for less.
The Design series are great drums and you get to open new boxes without breaking the bank!

The Design series are great drums and you get to open new boxes without breaking the bank!
Best feeling ever... well, almost. 🤗

As a Design series owner, I know I would like the Performance series just as much. I like the quarter turret lugs and the additional finish options. The two lines have a lot in common though the Performance series ships with better heads. If you're going to switch heads anyway and the Design series has the finish you're looking for, they're a safe bet.

Great kits.

They could be either Keller or DW's. own shell's as the Black/Chrome badge was the transition period.

Even before the name Collector's was put on the badge, they were called that already. Ther is no such thing as pre- collector's.

View attachment 109775

I would say that price is a bi ton the higher side, but if they are what you want, don't let prices hold you back (to a large extend)
Is that squiggly line just on the support hoop?

I'd probably avoid mainly because the older DW kits with the old RIMS mount design had an issue where the mount starts digging into the shell at the location where the bracket attaches to the L-Rod. I know this because I have an old DW kit and needed to replace all the mounts when this started happening. I noticed the new ones have a new design that creates more space between the mount and the shell at that location. This creates a mandatory upgrade at purchase of any of these old kits. They are wonderful sounding, and there's no problem with a set of keller shells, but that's the situation.

Is that squiggly line just on the support hoop?
Yes.
I'd probably avoid mainly because the older DW kits with the old RIMS mount design had an issue where the mount starts digging into the shell at the location where the bracket attaches to the L-Rod. I know this because I have an old DW kit and needed to replace all the mounts when this started happening. I noticed the new ones have a new design that creates more space between the mount and the shell at that location. This creates a mandatory upgrade at purchase of any of these old kits. They are wonderful sounding, and there's no problem with a set of keller shells, but that's the situation.

That is the first time I heard of that.

(Ihave owned and played pre 2000 kits and i’m active in the online DW groups).

That is the first time I heard of that.

(Ihave owned and played pre 2000 kits and i’m active in the online DW groups).

Here's a photo of where the finish got a little scuffed up before I updated to the newer mounts.
Luckily the old mounts had a rubber bumper there so it really is just some rubber residue and I can probably polish it right out and off, but it was pretty obvious why they updated the mounts to have more separation between shell and mount.
023241db-54ce-225f-9479-142cf2f93fbb.jpg

Random photo of the mounts:

b69cb61b-75ec-5f7e-659c-069b8bd397c1.jpg

Learn something every day, I only knew of these.

They started with the Purecussion R.I.M.S.:
1635416489149.jpeg
(my old purple beast from the '80s)

Then they had ultra short-lived prototype run of these pre-STM mounts:
97751969_10163649118070437_2837683913214656512_n.jpg

And after that, the STM mounts as we know them:
1635416712451.jpeg

But it looks like they had a short period in the mid 90's where the STM didn't had the space between the backet mounting spot and the shell.

But it looks like they had a short period in the mid 90's where the STM didn't had the space between the backet mounting spot and the shell.
yeah, those are the ones that I feel need to be immediately replaced if you end up with them.

You can see the old design in this picture pretty well:
jCRNjmEEOr3XE44UlRfs0ZjjS1Wkpa1KzDGOU-wyG9BC2WOcaPb9VAD-0DJNnm1ZeiD6vkD0NOdnqqJrO1njVBWdz-DSyVSiAvGP7DNQ_OA0Q0sM_UKUz96QGU6Qbz2xHA

yeah, those are the ones that I feel need to be immediately replaced if you end up with them.
I just checked the pictures of the 1998 and they had these too, but I never had anny issues with them in terms of damaging the shell/finish.

1635417127023.jpeg

So I wouldn't replace them right away but first see if they indeed cause a problem. They can be bend, so you can slightly bend them a bit outwards too.

Great kits.

View attachment 109775

and for sound sakes..

Back