Premier Olympic Steel Snare

bearblastbeats

Funny thing.

I forgot I made an offer on reverb a few days ago on a 1970's Premier Olympic Steel Snare. I was looking for a decent snare to finish putting together a kit for my son.

Looks like a decent investment for $50. Anyone have any insight on these snares, pre-yamaha?

Thanks for looking.

EDIT: Spelling

Attachments

• 20210720_100319.jpg
    20210720_100319.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 13

Woolwich

Silver Member
The badge suggests 1970s so Premier were in their pomp, many years before the wheels came off and Yamaha stepped in.
Olympic drums tended to use the same shells as their pricier Premier stablemates and kept the prices down by using cost cutting methods such as using fewer lugs as opposed to cutting corners on quality of materials or manufacturer. As has been said already, world class chrome plating, you've bagged yourself an excellent 40 year old 8 lug steel snare that will easily give another 40 years plus of service.

bearblastbeats

The badge suggests 1970s so Premier were in their pomp, many years before the wheels came off and Yamaha stepped in.
Olympic drums tended to use the same shells as their pricier Premier stablemates and kept the prices down by using cost cutting methods such as using fewer lugs as opposed to cutting corners on quality of materials or manufacturer. As has been said already, world class chrome plating, you've bagged yourself an excellent 40 year old 8 lug steel snare that will easily give another 40 years plus of service.
Man oh Man! Do I love me some good ol' history.

thank you friend!

bearblastbeats

Great score - Is that the 1005 CoS model?

If so, mine has a stamp inside the shell you may be able to see the date.
i'll check when I receive it!

That's a good deal, especially in the US, where Premier might not be as common. Even in the UK they might sell for twice as much.
If you need a key and can't find an original Premier key: Sonor keys should fit as well and are still being produced.

bearblastbeats

That's a good deal, especially in the US, where Premier might not be as common. Even in the UK they might sell for twice as much.
If you need a key and can't find an original Premier key: Sonor keys should fit as well and are still being produced.
oh you mean for the lugs? haha I didn't even pick up on that! I have a drum multi-tool which has a flat head, phillips, a few allen wrenches a regular drum key and others. should work?

bearblastbeats

Looks like 1005 COS to me, got the USA only Olympic badge too! Nice work @bearblastbeats !! Best chrome in the world…that snare will crack! (y) :D
man, the way you guys are talking this up I think it should be my new main snare and give my son his grandfathers 1976 supra haha