Practice Spaces

s1212z

Silver Member
For those who are renting out a monthly space, what are you paying, the sq ft. and are you sharing the space to cover cost? Any creative arrangements? Prices are area dependent but would be interesting to hear even outside US. Thanks in advance!

I have had a lock out studio since 2002, and currently have an 18'x20' room that my band splits with another band. Each band pays half the rent and in my band we divide our half by 4, because there's 4 of us, so I pay $70 a month. The studio has 24 hour access, security cameras, and is secure. The company that runs my studio is called Rehearse America, so you can go to there website for more info about what they do, and depending on where you are you could check them out if you're local to them.

After I had to leave my (downtown) recording studio in 2015 I moved to the countryside together with my girl. Our village is very small and so are the ones around us: I spent about 3 years searching for a place to build a small project studio/rehearsal room - without any luck. The only one offered was a 375m²/~4000ft² huge space on a huge estate (built around 1200 a.d., burned down and rebuilt around 1650 a.d.) in the next village. While having a bottle of rum with a friend of mine living in that village we were like "okay, let's build a bunch of studio/rehearsal rooms and rent them out" - "Yay, killer idea!" (imagine drunk voices and laughter afterwards). But as it is with those plans - they never see any light of day.

In January 2019 my dad died and I inherited some money. While nursing him for his last three months on earth (and starting to get maniac about the circumstances) I had to project some positivity on the situation so I decided to buy THE drum set (and snare) I always dreamed of and to put the rest of the money into this weird inebriated plan building a bunch of rehearsal rooms - including a new project studio for me. It was summer of 2019 when we started working on the site. It isn't done yet because we had a ton of melting snow destroying lots of walls and ceilings this winter so atm it's stuffed with drying machines. But seems we'll finally finish it this summer. I was able to practice in my new studio for about a month, literally can't wait for going on with re-building, predictably starting in April.

Here's some images from my own studio space inside the building before Armageddon hit in.

We're paying just 600€ for the whole site (excluded energy, tax and other costs) and we don't want to earn any money from renting out the rooms, although it would be nice if the huge investment we did (maybe 80k) would be paid back one day. But since at least my money literally came from heaven I don't care too much. I absolutely know my dad is sitting next to my mom on one of those clouds with a huge smile on their faces, being like "Yeah, our weird son and his ... erm ... 'projects'."

To give an impression of the whole site I'm constantly updating a video of the building process. Currently it's version 0.3 (still missing the destructive water inflow):

I have a client who had a small warehouse, it was large enough to hold about 12 large work vans. He would rent 1/4 of the space out for $300/month.

If you're looking for out of the box thinking ideas as to where to rent/rehearse:

-Dance studios: a lot of them have time slots available where lessons aren't taught. These dead hours can usually be had for around $10-50/hour.
-Churches: It's not unusual for a church, especially a larger church, to have some sort of activities room which may or may not have music instruments and a small PA. If a band member belongs to a church, you can always inquire about using the space. I've done it before and my cost has been anywhere from Free to a modest donation to the food pantry.
-Service Stations/auto body shops: During the Great Recession, there were a couple of these places in my region that were renting out their service bays to independent mechanics on a weekly/monthly basis. One of them converted some of the bays into band spaces (which have since been reverted back to auto service bays). I don't know how much they were charging, but you could look into local shops to see if they have a sectioned off space that could work for you.

Corporate real estate is on a decline with the rise of working from home this past year. Our newer corporate offices we just moved into prior to the pandemic had open space available, now it has lots of space available...
Checking with a buddy who does commercial space, there are lots of places unused but liability keeps many from doing anything different with the space. However, ppl do sub-lease some of this space out...another buddy in another band did score one of these open spaces for practice at a very reasonable cost.... point being to check into "Commercial Space Available" signs for leads, you never know who may be on the hook for recouping some real estate costs.

After I had to leave my (downtown) recording studio in 2015 I moved to the countryside together with my girl. Our village is very small and so are the ones around us: I spent about 3 years searching for a place to build a small project studio/rehearsal room - without any luck. The only one offered was a 375m²/~4000ft² huge space on a huge estate (built around 1200 a.d., burned down and rebuilt around 1650 a.d.) in the next village. While having a bottle of rum with a friend of mine living in that village we were like "okay, let's build a bunch of studio/rehearsal rooms and rent them out" - "Yay, killer idea!" (imagine drunk voices and laughter afterwards). But as it is with those plans - they never see any light of day.

In January 2019 my dad died and I inherited some money. While nursing him for his last three months on earth (and starting to get maniac about the circumstances) I had to project some positivity on the situation so I decided to buy THE drum set (and snare) I always dreamed of and to put the rest of the money into this weird inebriated plan building a bunch of rehearsal rooms - including a new project studio for me. It was summer of 2019 when we started working on the site. It isn't done yet because we had a ton of melting snow destroying lots of walls and ceilings this winter so atm it's stuffed with drying machines. But seems we'll finally finish it this summer. I was able to practice in my new studio for about a month, literally can't wait for going on with re-building, predictably starting in April.

Here's some images from my own studio space inside the building before Armageddon hit in.

We're paying just 600€ for the whole site (excluded energy, tax and other costs) and we don't want to earn any money from renting out the rooms, although it would be nice if the huge investment we did (maybe 80k) would be paid back one day. But since at least my money literally came from heaven I don't care too much. I absolutely know my dad is sitting next to my mom on one of those clouds with a huge smile on their faces, being like "Yeah, our weird son and his ... erm ... 'projects'."

To give an impression of the whole site I'm constantly updating a video of the building process. Currently it's version 0.3 (still missing the destructive water inflow):

Whoa!..your practice space is nicer than the house! I live in. It looks like something steve Smith would have. What a great atmosphere for work. Nnnnnice!

Back