Practice Pads

S

sticks4drums

Choice of pad depends on a lot of factors.

Is it just for quiet practice or is it mainly about portability,

I have a Real Feel pad and it has a bit of extra bounce, which mentioned before isn't necessarily a bad thing for a beginner getting used to rebound. The other side has less bounce, but is also a lot louder. Remedy for both issues for me has just been laying an old t-shirt or towel over the pad. You can adjust rebound to our liking and it makes it completely quiet.

For REAL feel the old Remo pads are the best I know of.
I have one of those old Remo real head pads from about 30 years ago. Man is it noisy though. You drive everyone around you crazy, including yourself. :)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I have one of those old Remo real head pads from about 30 years ago. Man is it noisy though. You drive everyone around you crazy, including yourself. :)

Yeah. That's the main reason why I use the HQ.

mandrew

Gold Member
drum pad question

I have been using the Vic Firth double sided practice pad, but am always searching for one that has the closest feel to a regular drum. By regular, I do not mean a table top marching snare! what have you guys/gals found to be the best practice pads ?

Arky

Platinum Member
I've moved your thread/post here as we do have (lots of) existing threads on practice pads with a lot of info.

Here's another thread that you might check out:
practice pad
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83982

There haven't been any groundbreaking new pads lately so what you'll find in the existing threads should suffice to help you.
Ultimately no pad feels like a real drum/snare so most pads will work fine. Just pay attention to good accents/tap separation and getting the left/right stick sounds as close as possible. This should translate well on real drums.

Here's another great thread that might help - esp. check out what Bill Bachman said there.
Stick Control - How even is even?
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115136

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Hey guys,

I have started to teach, and I'm beginning to get some students (this is for community service of course). Because its for community service, I don't have any income from it, so I don't want to have to buy practice pads for my students, but I don't want to have my students shell out the money for a practice pad (it's hard enough to keep students!). What are some ideas for cheap practice pads that I can just make by myself?

Happy Thanksgiving by the way.
I have the Vater practice pad that use and it's pretty good. It's red and about 12" in diamater.