Powered pa subwoofer for my kick drum

DW_Dude

Hello everyone, I have a question for anyone that might have a good understanding about live performances. I have gotten by for years without mic'ing my kick, likely because of the size of venues I have played. I am with another group of guys that play a little louder than the others and I have had a few comments about not really hearing or feeling my kick from the audience so I was looking around at some peaveys Pv 118d powered subs and wanted other opinions on this type of speaker. I have always thought peavey made pretty good pa equipment. These speakers are only rated at 300W so I am with questions whether they can deliver what I need. Again, our are not huge, bar and club atmospheres mostly but we will do shows out doors at times but not nothing like a football size arena. Can anyone with the know look at these and tell me their opinion please? I would really like the thoughts from other drummers that have experience with amping their souls. Thanks

Unless you're playing at phenomenal volume levels, a pair of 18" subs seems overkill for small venues.
Years ago I used to plug into a 100W bass amp for some gigs and it gave my kick a lot more oomph. The cover band I'm in now has a couple of lightweight 12" powered subs and they sound huge for shows up to a few hundred people. There is some EQ'ing and processing going on, but the small subs have plenty of oomph.

Back to your question - 300W 18's will generally sound louder and deeper than 1000W 12's, but they'll be bigger and heavier to carry. I don't know that model though. Peavey make some quality gear but also some very cheap, not so good gear.

Thank you Morrisman. That helps a lot. I dont think I would worry about being under powered then. I do appreciate the insight

Ahh, the wonderful world of powered subs. Nothing like paying $1000 for a big-name rebranded box that delivers half its rated power and goes into thermal-protective-shutdown at 50% duty. What a lovely industry.

My recommendation: Buy a Yamaha DXS15.... or two.

How watts are rated differs from amp to amp. A one hundred watt Marshall or Fender tube amp will peel your face off, where my powered mains are 500 watts but not any louder, car audio is almost always in the thousands, still, no louder. My two 18" powered subs are 1000w and 1600w and the smaller one is underwhelming by itself. In my opinion 300w for a powered sub is woefully underpowered and will produce less than satisfying results, like not as loud as the drum itself.

In my opinion 300w for a powered sub is woefully underpowered and will produce less than satisfying results, like not as loud as the drum itself.

My favorite is when the specs contain:

Peak: 1100w
Sustained: 600w
Power Draw: 120w

Unless you're playing at phenomenal volume levels, a pair of 18" subs seems overkill for small venues.
Years ago I used to plug into a 100W bass amp for some gigs and it gave my kick a lot more oomph. The cover band I'm in now has a couple of lightweight 12" powered subs and they sound huge for shows up to a few hundred people. There is some EQ'ing and processing going on, but the small subs have plenty of oomph.

Back to your question - 300W 18's will generally sound louder and deeper than 1000W 12's, but they'll be bigger and heavier to carry. I don't know that model though. Peavey make some quality gear but also some very cheap, not so good gear.

Hey Morrisman next time you with/talk to your cover band can you let me know what Brand and model those 12" powered subs you guys are using? thanks!

That band uses a pair of dB Sub 12's. The original model, 400W each self powered. They weigh 18kg each, half the size and weight of most 15 and 18 subs. They have a peak around 100Hz which we EQ out a bit, then they sound great.
They are not as loud as 18's but have plenty of volume for our cover band material. Certainly much louder and deeper than the kick drum on its own. We use them for weddings and dinner/dance shows up to 400 people, with 2 or 4 EV sx300 main speakers.

Back