Posting videos

Merlin5

Gold Member
Any possibility of a code to allow YouTube videos or any videos to be visible as a thumbnail and playable on the page? I'm guessing there's a specific reason that this function isn't available, but can't think what since images have a code.

Any possibility of a code to allow YouTube videos or any videos to be visible as a thumbnail and playable on the page? I'm guessing there's a specific reason that this function isn't available, but can't think what since images have a code.

It can be abused for nefarious purposes as with a lot of embedded content. Can also sort of affect page loading for clients.

It can be abused for nefarious purposes as with a lot of embedded content. Can also sort of affect page loading for clients.

A simple solution is to give more trusted members moderation powers to delete posts and ban people.

I'm honestly not sure page loading is an issue, unless we are trying to accommodate people still running PC's from the early 2000's.

Embedding video opens up an avenue for malware installation, clickfraud, session-hijack, and tracking abuse... Especially on a site that does not protect user sessions and in-flight communications.

I would advise against it.

A simple solution is to give more trusted members moderation powers to delete posts and ban people.

Distribution of authority is the antithesis of simplicity.

I've had an active forum for 13 years with no problem embedding videos.

This is the only forum I use or have used that doesnt have this option. It is only a minor inconvenience but does seem sort of unnecessary since every other place allows it, makes this place seem dated for sure. I still click through the links but it sure would be a lot easier if we could just stay on the same page.

This is the only forum I use or have used that doesnt have this option. It is only a minor inconvenience but does seem sort of unnecessary since every other place allows it, makes this place seem dated for sure. I still click through the links but it sure would be a lot easier if we could just stay on the same page.

Click the links with your "middle" button (press down the wheel usually) it will automatically open the video or link in another tab which preserves your place on the current page and allows you to check the video right away or at your leisure. I typically do this several times to "queue up" a list of videos, like when people post more than one at once.

I'm honestly not sure page loading is an issue, unless we are trying to accommodate people still running PC's from the early 2000's.

Eh, you'd be surprised. Things like chrome are very aggressive with eating tones of memory, pre loading page elements and embedded things can actually become a problem, especially on forums where the continued addition of new and re-quote of a video will cause it to display sometimes hundreds of times in a thread. Also allowing for people's phones and older tablets should be considered and they often have much less "power" for multiple instances of embedded things, or even multi-threading in general.

Also, as Kamak and I have pointed out, it's not safe. Allowing embedded content to run here is a security risk.

Back