Posting on multiple drum forums- what's your opinion?

toddmc

Gold Member
Simple question:-
Posting identical material on various drum forums: Shameless self-promotion or valid social networking tool?

it very much depends on the posts. ''see my band'' or ''rate my video cover off...'' or ''vote for me in...'' posts are shameless self promotion. if someone (me) takes trouble to plan, shoot, edit and post a video that is instructional then the only point is to get people to see it and comment on it - no money is made. i cannot see a problem with that.
i'm a member of 11 forums. if i post here i post on all of them. my motivation for posting on one forum is the same as all.
some forums are very slow. you have to wait weeks before you get a reply if any. some are too quick and your post gets buried. DW forum is the most balanced one out there. some forums are too serious and others too frivolous. This place has a respectable level of serious mixed with humour. forums come in different flavours.
so i post on those other forums because i know i'll get perhaps different views. plus there are certain characters on all forums whom you respect and want an opinion from. here i like to hear from gruntersdad and bo among about 20 others. on billy wards forum obviously getting a moment of billy's time has an attraction. as a british drummer mike dolbear's forum is 'local' and the replies there are in line with what is happening this side of the pond. etc...
j

Depends what you're posting but I'm pretty sure it's only for maximum exposure. I'm on 2 other forums but I think I'd secretly feel a little embarrassed if someone noticed.

People that join forums just to spam their drumming vids/bands annoy me however..

If I had more time I'd probably venture outside the confines of DW. I would post though on other forums if I had an urgent question where I needed additional feedback or answers.

I'm only on one other forum, but it's gotten very slow in the last year or so.
This one is the most balanced out of all I've seen, and people are nice, so I post here.

I'm just here to talk drums and gear, and share some experiences.
I don't post playing vids, or stuff like that.

I'm not in it for "promotion" either, just fun.
Sometimes I'll reach out to people via PM that are in a reasonable distance if I'm playing a cool gig & they might want to come out on a guest list.
It's nice to meet up, and hang with fellow forum members.

IMO it seems to me that DW is the most neutral, most other forums seem aligned with one brand, now I know that some like Pearl drummers forum are naturally going that way, but other forums can get a bit all or nothing when it comes to 'outsider' brands.

I have posted and read and am a member of Ghostnote.net. They are basically a drum building web site and I have gotten a good bit from them on building issues. I also frequent the site for their "for sale" section and got most of my goods there when I built my Bumble Bee Bop set. I see no problem with multiple site visits as long you aren't using one to bash the other. I am very appreciative with the amount of work it takes to maintain a site and use both on a daily basis.

unthinkable+faith+struggle.jpg

I'm only on one other forum, but it's gotten very slow in the last year or so.
This one is the most balanced out of all I've seen, and people are nice, so I post here.

I'm just here to talk drums and gear, and share some experiences.
I don't post playing vids, or stuff like that.

I'm not in it for "promotion" either, just fun.
Sometimes I'll reach out to people via PM that are in a reasonable distance if I'm playing a cool gig & they might want to come out on a guest list.
It's nice to meet up, and hang with fellow forum members.

Would that be the Sabian forum? I go to this one, obviously, the Sabian forum, and the Pearl forum. I have no problem with similar posts on different forums; I have done it myself a few times. Peace and goodwill.

Yep, that's the one, and a few other people from the Zone post here as well.
It was really nice for a long time, but it somehow got really slow, or people ran out of things to say...

Maybe it's just the cycle of new people within a small pool of regular posters asking the same things? I mean, how many times can you say "I do/use/recommend "X"?

There were a small batch of asshats getting stupid at one point too. They DID put a stop to it fast. A few GOOD people said forget it and left though.

Doesn't happen here that much, and there have only been a few members here that have stopped posting/been banned since I joined (2007).

I think Ron (Sledge) would like it here.

I belong to 4 drum related forums. This is the one I post on most though.

Different people with differing opinions which to me is a good thing. What I find most interesting across all forums however is how some people believe their opinion is indeed fact when in reality it's just an opinion.

I do most of my posting here, but occasionally post other places too.

I see people get excited over getting something new, and want to show it off - nothing wrong with that.
Asking for advice on multiple forums can sometimes bring out a unique viewpoint too.

This place seems pretty balanced to me, with a nice mixture of topics, people, ideas and news.

You mean there are other drum forums?

I get everything I could ever need or want here. The regulars here are in my thoughts throughout the day, for real, even though I've never actually met any of you. So many great humans here on DW. Like if I don't hear from Anthony for a few days on the forums for instance, I imagine he's busy teaching or traveling to gig. I wonder about all you guys. The regulars are the real attraction for me, guys like Steve B, Anon, Bo, Philippe, Brent, Andy, Mary, Abe, Vince, Bon, the Ians...and so many others....and the new members who become regulars, like Mikey and others. It's all about the people here.

It's hard to imagine a better drum forum even exists. My opinion of multiple forums is, hey why not? I don't need anything else but more power to anybody who migrate elsewhere.

You mean there are other drum forums?

I get everything I could ever need or want here. The regulars here are in my thoughts throughout the day, for real, even though I've never actually met any of you. So many great humans here on DW. Like if I don't hear from Anthony for a few days on the forums for instance, I imagine he's busy teaching or traveling to gig. I wonder about all you guys. The regulars are the real attraction for me, guys like Steve B, Anon, Bo, Philippe, Brent, Andy, Mary, Abe, Vince, Bon, the Ians...and so many others....and the new members who become regulars, like Mikey and others. It's all about the people here.

I pretty much agree with Larry, this forum is about drums and drummers, but it's also about people, and therefore, friendship. If this forum was just talking about technique, drums, pedals, tuning and so on, I would not have posted so much, a large part of what makes this forum so enjoyable are the people in it, like Larry, I think about a lot of you when I'm off line, this forum is like family, brothers and sisters, lol.

I never joined any other forums before DW, and it's propably gonna be the only one :)

I think the main problem occurs when people only post about themselves. Many times, the poster will start threads about him/herself, but not reply to other threads or be a contributing member of the forum. Those are usually the posters who copy and paste the same thing on many different websites.

Then there are the others that reply to posts, but somehow always reference the same link. Such as (in a thread about flams), "Hey you should really check out this website - it has some flams." Then their next post on another thread has that same link. Fortunately, the moderators here tend to notice that and keep in under control.

Also, I noticed that forums such as this sometimes self-police. When people come on saying, "Hey, look at me" without contributing to any other threads, his/her thread will often have no replies. Forum members can usually spot people who are just here to advertise.

And yes, sometimes people do self promote, when it is applicable. I do it too. The link to my book is in my signature. But if you look at my last 100 posts or so, you won't find me talking about the book unless it is applicable to the thread.

So - I guess common sense is the key. As I have seen it written here, we are guests on this forum. If someone were a guest at a party and went around talking only about themselves, that party wouldn't be very fun.

Jeff

I'm a member at the Cymbalholic Forum but I have only posted a few times. I like going there to read and see rare, hard to find or just interesting cymbals. I prefer to interact here. I've known many of you for years.

Like Larry, I think of all of you often.

Mostly stuff like, "What would Polly think if I sat in on one of her lounge gigs and played like Steve Moore"?

"We're going to do our Blues set next. Get your act together, what if Larry was watching"?

"Why doesn't Bo fix his avatar, his kit is all backwards"?

When I'm feeling lazy, "Andy's not taking it easy right now. Get busy, multitask".

"The Mayor must have Dragon on his computer. Nobody could have a post count that high just using their hands".

All the other regulars too.

-----------

I like it here.

Lol Philippe, I can totally relate. This place has expanded my POV because there's a great mix of differing angles here. Things I never would have come up on my own are presented here to digest. Awesome info from a worldwide perspective.

Like some things I've said in the past...for instance keeping your fills the same volume as the rest, I've come to rethink. Some others didn't agree, and now I know why. I don't usually play big rooms, and when I did play a big room the other week (Our losing set thread) I realized that I have to really lay into any fills, because the room is so big. Smaller rooms I like to keep the fills the same volume. It's not an across the board thing.

Long live Bernhard's Drummerworld.

Well I'm off to get all beautiful for tonight's gig, see you guys tomorrow

Mostly stuff like, "What would Polly think if I sat in on one of her lounge gigs and played like Steve Moore"?

Ha - it must be fun inside your head! I'll have you know that I shake my head more than any lounge drummer I've seen (barring Kwon Soon Keun).

"We're going to do our Blues set next. Get your act together, what if Larry was watching"?

The horror. The horror.

I've looked at other drum forums but I don't see anything much that I can't get here, plus I have friends here. Agree with comments about self promotion. I don't understand people who post their playing but don't reply to others. So much for "know your audience".

Break a leg, Larry.

Back