Post your Tune-Bot settings

Ronni7th

Hey, just bought & used Tune Bot Studio version. Those are my settings:
Tama Superstar Exotic Maple:
BD 22x16: Top lug 66 Hz, Reso Lug 76, Fundamental 1E (lower tuning wasn't that well for me)
SD 14x5,5 Top lug 299 Hz, Reso Lug 398 Hz, Fundamental 3G# (I like it high for metal setup)
TT 8x6 Top lug 275 Hz, Reso Lug 293 Hz, Fundamental 3E
TT 10x7 Top lug 218 Hz, Reso Lug 232 Hz, Fundamental 3C
TT 12x8 Top lug 173 Hz, Reso Lug 184 Hz, Fundamental 2G#
FT 14x12 Top lug 137 Hz, Reso Lug 146 Hz, Fundamental 2E
FT 16x14 Top lug 115 Hz, Reso Lug 123 Hz, Fundamental 2C

I think about tuning floor toms a bit higher, this 16" is kinda low for me, but still fits the composition.

EricT43

Hey, just bought & used Tune Bot Studio version. Those are my settings:
Tama Superstar Exotic Maple:
BD 22x16: Top lug 66 Hz, Reso Lug 76, Fundamental 1E (lower tuning wasn't that well for me)
SD 14x5,5 Top lug 299 Hz, Reso Lug 398 Hz, Fundamental 3G# (I like it high for metal setup)
TT 8x6 Top lug 275 Hz, Reso Lug 293 Hz, Fundamental 3E
TT 10x7 Top lug 218 Hz, Reso Lug 232 Hz, Fundamental 3C
TT 12x8 Top lug 173 Hz, Reso Lug 184 Hz, Fundamental 2G#
FT 14x12 Top lug 137 Hz, Reso Lug 146 Hz, Fundamental 2E
FT 16x14 Top lug 115 Hz, Reso Lug 123 Hz, Fundamental 2C

I think about tuning floor toms a bit higher, this 16" is kinda low for me, but still fits the composition.
Major third intervals between the toms. One thing you might try, if you drop the 12" tom to a 2G fundamental, then your toms will form a Cmaj chord, which might sound more harmonious overall. But I also find that 2C is a little low for my 16x14 floor tom, it has low end rumble but doesn't project the tone very well. On another kit I have a 16x16 and it seems to work better at lower tunings.

ricky

I was just messing with my tunebot last night on my Ludwig Classic maple toms (13,16)...haven't decided yet on what I like. :rolleyes:

But side question...I have found that max resonance (tuning both heads the same) does not really equate to max resonance. Anyone else find that to be true?

Another side question: does constantly loosening and re-tuning wear out heads?

Last edited:

EricT43

I was just messing with my tunebot last night on my Ludwig Classic maple toms (13,16)...haven't decided yet on what I like. :rolleyes:

But side question...I have found that max resonance (tuning both heads the same) does not really equate to max resonance. Anyone else find that to be true?

Another side question: does constantly loosening and re-tuning wear out heads?
I think the theory of maximum resonance also includes using identical heads top and bottom. If you use different heads, this might no longer be the case. A double-ply head will take more energy to vibrate at the same frequency as a single-ply head, for example, because it is heavier. So if you run a double-ply head on top and single-ply on the bottom, then a different interval might get you the most resonance. I think you'll get the most resonance when both heads absorb the same amount of energy as one another. This is just me postulating based on my knowledge of physics as an engineer, but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong.

I don't think loosening and re-tightening will wear out the heads appreciably. They're getting far less force applied to them than they would be while being played.

Out of Round

I think the theory of maximum resonance also includes using identical heads top and bottom. If you use different heads, this might no longer be the case.
I agree. I would do identical single-plys if going for truly maximum resonance. Whether I really got a preferable, usable drum sound in the end would be a different question.

ricky

Thanks for the replies on that...I am using identical plys...coated ambassador on top and bottom.

Oh well, I've decided not to tune them to the same pitch regardless. :rolleyes::)

ricky

One disadvantage of this, that I've noticed when I have them mic'd up at home, is that the bass drum causes sympathetic vibration in the 16" floor tom, since they're tuned to the same pitch (an octave apart). In a mix with other instruments, I doubt it would be that noticeable, but I might try tuning the bass drum to an E (61/91) to try to avoid this.
This is something else I was wondering about...people tend to go for "notes" that would increase sympathetic resonance...notes that relate...and then use moongels or whatever...wouldn't going against that help with sympathetic resonance? Instead of toms at C, G, and E, for example, why not C, F# and C# or D#....the basic high, mid, low is there, but less chance for too much sympathetic resonance.

Ghede

I think the theory of maximum resonance also includes using identical heads top and bottom. If you use different heads, this might no longer be the case. A double-ply head will take more energy to vibrate at the same frequency as a single-ply head, for example, because it is heavier. So if you run a double-ply head on top and single-ply on the bottom, then a different interval might get you the most resonance. I think you'll get the most resonance when both heads absorb the same amount of energy as one another. This is just me postulating based on my knowledge of physics as an engineer, but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong.

I don't think loosening and re-tightening will wear out the heads appreciably. They're getting far less force applied to them than they would be while being played.
Never thought about it.

Unfortunately I'm not able to test it, but: With the same shell, keeping constant top and bottom lug frequency (not necessarily the same) and by simply changing heads, do you think you would yield a different fundamental or the resulting note would be the same and the variations are only on timbre and resonance?