Poll: Thumbnails or Full Size Image in Post

What do you prefer when browsing:

• Thumbnails ‘cuz they load faster and I don’t have to view if I don’t want to.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Full size image ‘cuz they look better and it’s one less click.

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wildbill

Platinum Member
I missed the poll :(
but I usually use thumbnails - mostly just out of habit from trying to keep uploads small for quicker loading for others.
Holdover from the dial-up days.
But I'm not sure how things work now with the auto resizing of pics. Maybe it doesn't make a difference?

Not sure if there's a difference in the storage space it takes up on the forum either.

I uploaded some pretty big pics as thumbnails.
You can click on the pic to make it bigger, but then if you click it again when it's already big, it gets really big,
and requires a lot of scrolling, so I'm not sure how they're actually being stored within the forum.

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
I missed the poll :(
but I usually use thumbnails - mostly just out of habit from trying to keep uploads small for quicker loading for others.
But I'm not sure how things work now with the auto resizing of pics. Maybe it doesn't make a difference?
It seems that the full-size image file downloads with the thumbnail because there’s no delay opening the image. But only @Supergrobi would know the truth.

J-W

How would the forum cope if I stopped uploading full size pics of my Pearl Export?
I know that I, for one, might stop visiting altogether. ;) <Al suddenly get inundated with PM's requesting he stop posting pics of the Exports>

I can’t fit two bass drums in a thumbnail; there’s not enough room on the stage…maybe I should switch to double pedal for thumbnail images?
A simple solution would be to substitute it with that beautiful white Premier kit. 🤤

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
It seems that the full-size image file downloads with the thumbnail because there’s no delay opening the image. But only @Supergrobi would know the truth.
Since the servers are located in the US while I'm sitting in Germany I can spot quite a delay between clicking a thumbnail and having it open in my browser. The spinner is active for around 2 seconds for me because of the latency/ping. Thumbnails are created on uploading an image. They are 256px on the longest edge, keeping their aspect ratio. The algorithm resizing large images to 2048px max. on upload is set to quite efficient values, keeping image size way below 1MB, in fact more like something between 500-600kB which should open in milliseconds on an average internet connection within the US.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm also mindful of size (I started posting pics online in 1993) but I also like to keep extra clicking to a minimum. So I keep my img size relatively small by making the longest dimension 1000px or less (depending on content) and compress at a moderate level. Resulting size is 150-250k, which loads quickly even with old DSL.

Back in the day, I would post pics at 320x240 (screens were typically 640x480, so that was 25% of the screen) and they were compressed and crunchy. 25k was my upper limit and I usually kept images below 20k. Some of those are probably still on web sites I created back then. EEK!

Here's an image from a 1998 site, it's 232x145 and 11k (and I repeat - EEK!!)

int1.jpg

That's the full size, not a thumbnail!

But it didn't look too terrible on the lower-res screens of the day.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I just tried posting both thumbnails and full size in the 'Show your Ludwigs' thread.

When I click on the thumbnails, and then click on the picture a second time, they get real big.

The full size also get larger when I click them again. Two clicks - first click the pic, then click it again when a + sign shows.
So I'm guessing that the pictures are stored at the original size, but autosized before they're put into a post. I guess I'll just stick with full size pics if I post more in the future then.

Last edited:

Al Strange

Since the servers are located in the US while I'm sitting in Germany I can spot quite a delay between clicking a thumbnail and having it open in my browser. The spinner is active for around 2 seconds for me because of the latency/ping. Thumbnails are created on uploading an image. They are 256px on the longest edge, keeping their aspect ratio. The algorithm resizing large images to 2048px max. on upload is set to quite efficient values, keeping image size way below 1MB, in fact more like something between 500-600kB which should open in milliseconds on an average internet connection within the US.
That’s easy for you to say @Supergrobi !! :unsure: 😁