Please stop talking...

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
It seems that a good chunk of the population who owns a keyboard these days consider themselves either an expert, a content creator or both.
Unfortunately that attitude carries over into their daily interactions with others.

My usual approach to people like this is when they ask me a question I follow up their question with "Do you want me to be honest or polite?"
The ones who are bent on asserting themselves and arguing typically are taken off guard and after a substantial lull in the conversation stammer something like "Oh . . . never mind, it's not that important" and walk off. Those who really want to know what I think--or are mature enough to have an adult
discussion--are much more civil.

Last edited:
Sorta drum related, but also life in general.
Over the last year, I've seen a growing trend in how my interaction with people have gone. I'll be asked by someone who knows I'm a drummer a drum related question. When I give the answer, I'm then confronted by that same person telling me I'm only partly correct. Then they proceed to give me "the rest of it" just to (I guess) show me that they know more than me.

And it's not only drumming subjects. It seems like it's everything these days. I just don't know quite enough to satisfy the person I'm talking to and they have no issue with telling me either how I don't know what I'm talking about or how wrong I am.
Yet they're the ones who ASKED ME!!!

I'm really starting to hate people more and more these days & I don't like myself for it. Yet I see no end in sight. :confused:

I’m sorry to disagree with you on on the topic of these people , but,………
I’m certain you’re wrong 😉😉😉😂😂😂

Tosheus

I agree.. I hate it when people don’t realise I’m better than they are and I’m only trying to help them.. 😂 All bets are off in my opinion.. A weak, insecure person can pretend to be confident. It’s called arrogance.
A lot of people regard the internet as a battlefield type scenario, it’s always been like this but now the assumption of having a louder voice is marketable.. I also weep for our future..
Peace and love..

planoranger

A lot of people regard the internet as a battlefield type scenario, it’s always been like this but now the assumption of having a louder voice is marketable.. I also weep for our future..
Peace and love..
Does anybody remember when typing in all capital letters was called SHOUTING? At least we're not seeing that too often.

This whole phenomenon reminds me of the old saying, "Opinions are like a$$holes$...everybody's got one."

Doraemon

This made me think of Eric Berne's Games People Play. As a dysfunctional social interaction, I don't think it's specific to the Internet age or anything new. Only in content maybe, but it seems like a classic, and I've met quite a lot of people who had this need to know things better, even before social media was a thing. On the other hand, I have a very knowledgable pro drummer friend to whom sometimes I go with drumming questions, but many times I also tell him about stuff he didn't know, because he's not following topics or news sources and is usually very happy to learn new information regardless of it coming from a person with less drum cred. I guess it also depends on how it's presented?

Poleaux

The more I talk to people, the more disappointed I am with mankind.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
The more I talk to people, the more disappointed I am with mankind.

sometimes I feel more like:

the more I see people NOT listening to each other , the more disappointed I am with mankind

A J

Years ago my wife and I were invited to Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house with her extended family. The respected family patriarch finds out I plays drums in local bar bands and launches into a long lecture about:

- how I can't possibly understand music because I lack professional training and am not versed in the "classics".
- only a keen intellect can appreciate classic music.

My retorts:
"Have you ever played a gig in front of a live audience?" (His answer was "no")
"Do you, Sir play any musical instrument or sing?" (No)
"Do you read music?" (No again)
"Do you have any experience with running sound, recording, band logistics or bookings?" (No)

That was the last time we shared Thanksgiving dinner with that family.

planoranger

The respected family patriarch finds out I plays drums in local bar bands and launches into a long lecture about:

- how I can't possibly understand music because I lack professional training and am not versed in the "classics".

My retorts:
"Do you have any experience with running sound, recording, band logistics or bookings?" (No)

Respected, feared, or more likely, tolerated perhaps?

My mother-in-law was like that. She never let her lack of experience/knowledge get in the way of her opinions. You better not have dared to disagree with her either!!!:mad:

Reactions: A J

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Years ago my wife and I were invited to Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house with her extended family. The respected family patriarch finds out I plays drums in local bar bands and launches into a long lecture about:

My retorts:

pwned!!!!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Over the last year, I've seen a growing trend in how my interaction with people have gone. I'll be asked by someone who knows I'm a drummer a drum related question. When I give the answer, I'm then confronted by that same person telling me I'm only partly correct. Then they proceed to give me "the rest of it" just to (I guess) show me that they know more than me.

And it's not only drumming subjects. It seems like it's everything these days. I just don't know quite enough to satisfy the person I'm talking to and they have no issue with telling me either how I don't know what I'm talking about or how wrong I am.

I'm really starting to hate people more and more these days & I don't like myself for it. Yet I see no end in sight. :confused:

I think you're wrong.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member

On a more serious note, I've just learned to say, "You know, you're probably right! That makes sense." I do it all the time.

I live by this:

1663602478614.png

I find at gigs, the drunk crowd are even worse nowadays.

In the last year at gigs I’ve had:

My band mates were told ‘you’ve got a good band but your drummer needs to play different rhythms. Like, listen to dance music or hip hop’ - we were pretty much playing Chuck Berry covers. I’m not sure what different rhythms I could’ve played to Johnny B Goode.

Been told at a tiny city centre venue by the owner to keep the volume as low as possible. I played with brushes, it’s an acoustic band anyway. Later on an older guy come up and says I need to drum harder because John Bonham was never seen with brushes?!

Even had someone come up to me and say I should play over the top of the songs like I’m in Motörhead. Again I was playing the usual cover set - Rolling Stones, Killers, Bryan Adam’s, playing with my band mates not against them.

That last example intrigued me because he didn’t seem that drunk so I thought, great, a fellow drummer, let’s have a chat. I asked if he plays many gigs. No. Just getting the set together with your band then? Something like that he replied. I decided to push him a bit more....so what kind of music do you play, I enquired. His reply....‘I just play rockband in my bedroom on my PlayStation.’

Reactions: A J

A J

Respected, feared, or more likely, tolerated perhaps?

My mother-in-law was like that. She never let her lack of experience/knowledge get in the way of her opinions. You better not have dared to disagree with her either!!!:mad:
Yeah. I know the type.

This particular dude I referenced was just plain obnoxious. He did his best to turn every conversation into a debate, a lecture on his vast knowledge or irrefutable proof that you're stupid. Knowing I was a guest at someone else's house, I kept my thoughts to myself unless directly attacked. Even then, my response was a mere whisper of what I really wanted to say,