Please help I.D. this drum set

wraub

Gold Member
Re: questions from a co-worker, I present these pics-
I was told "they're older and been sitting a while, I don't know what they are, they're drums and they're in the way."

Looking at the pics, I see some cheap cymbals and basic stands... and these drums, which, I think might be an older Tama set.

Any further input?

Thanks!

IMG-1763.jpg

IMG-1764.jpg

It's hard to tell from one picture. The tom holder and kick hoops look like Tama maybe stage stars.

The plastic BD hoop usually indicates a Tama Imperialstar.

That kit looks exactly like an Imperialstar.

The only thing I do not like about those kits is that it is really hard to get good positioning on the rack toms due to the placement and operation of the tom-holder. Coupled with the sheer size of the 12 and 13" RT's.... I'm 6'1 and could barely get the toms into a orientation I considered sane.

Yeah, it's the front hoop that made me think Tama lol...

Apparently, this is the tom mount...
Tama MTH600 Dual Tom Mount Double Tom Holder
1589951756794.png

It looks like Tama used those hoops on more than the Imperialstars... Other models had/have them too.

It looks like Tama used those hoops on more than the Imperialstars... Other models had/have them too.
Yes they did but I can't remember exactly which ones have them. I've always held the starclassic performers in high respect and I believe when they first came out they had those Hoops on them also. I'm certain that those drums are not performers though

Indeed, though they were usually economy kits, like the 2000's era Rockstar. These have the gold badge though, and not the black oval badge in the OP's pic (It's face forward on the floor tom, just a bit dark).

Rockstar Example:
wqsun865ufv1fqwxhw1h.jpg

The badge in the OP's pic (I think)
s-l300.jpg

The plastic BD hoops were used on the Rockstars prior. The Imperialstars took over for Rockstar and kept a lot of details but also slipped in a few cost-cutting moves as well.

While I didn't think they were vintage Ludwigs, I thought they might be a fun project, and possibly replace my "lesser" entry level kit.

I'm being offered all the drum stuff in the pics for $100.

You should take it for $100 imo. You'll spend more than that on good heads. The hardware is worth that. Who wouldn't want a complete kit for a bill? If you don't like it, flip it.

I should be getting it this weekend... ;)

Indeed, though they were usually economy kits, like the 2000's era Rockstar. These have the gold badge though, and not the black oval badge in the OP's pic (It's face forward on the floor tom, just a bit dark).

Rockstar Example:
wqsun865ufv1fqwxhw1h.jpg

I have that identical Rockstar Custom kit, haha. Bought it in 1999. Same Charcoal Lacquer finish, same plastic bass drum hoops.

I love those plastic hoops. The bass drum sounds absolutely fabulous and I think it's due to the hoops. I currently have the kit for sale locally in fact.

@Winston_Wolf

Back