Playing drums with glasses? ..yes or no...

I wear my glasses on indoor gigs and shades outdoors, and yes, I have knocked the glasses of my face on several occasions over the years. Then, I panic trying to find them.

Grea asked Thaardy this question below in another thread.

Which made me think, how many of you out there who's wearing glasses actually keep them on while playing?

I never wear my glasses when I'm playing drums, they just keep sliding off and eventually fall, I can see my drums though.

Contact lenses? Flying blind? Glasses? No glasses? Any tips and tricks?
Funny you should mention that just the other day I accidentally flipped my stick and hit my own glasses I couldn't believe it... I never did that before LOL.

But I do have a solution for you still wearing your glasses... they actually have a black soft stretchy elastic you hook on to the end of each arm of your glasses and it stays tight right on your head... it's called "glasses strap" on Amazon.

Also you can go to your local Opticians and they will tighten them for free.

Drummer_D

Last edited:
Grea asked Thaardy this question below in another thread.

Which made me think, how many of you out there who's wearing glasses actually keep them on while playing?

I never wear my glasses when I'm playing drums, they just keep sliding off and eventually fall, I can see my drums though.

Contact lenses? Flying blind? Glasses? No glasses? Any tips and tricks?
I never have a problem wearing glasses
They never stopped the babes from making passes
So here at my kit with my glasses I sit
If they fell of I couldn't see for

Tri-focals. I always wear them when I'm playing. If you get them fitted correctly they may slip a tiny bit, but for the most part they'll stay on your face. They don't get in the way, they're a part of my face, shouldn't have sticks anywhere near them. And I'm pretty active when I play. :)

I need glasses for driving or watching TV and have for decades. But I rarely have them on otherwise. (I work from home.) But I realized recently that I need to put them on to play. I mean, I don't need to--I've played many times without them--but I feel much more comfortable playing with them on. It's very strange but it is what it is.

I'm just practicing/learning/rehearsing at this point, but I wear sunglasses to remind me not to bother looking at the drums while I play. I know from experience that onstage, sunglasses are great for reducing the glare of stage lights, so.

I can't imagine having to read a chart like @Huw Owens while playing. Where does the music stand go that wouldn't induce twisting one's back and/or craning one's neck?

The distance is actually worse than the angle @Lefty Phillips - if you remember I’m visually impaired & I just can’t get the music stand close enough.

I tried moving my crash from next to the hi hat over to the right so I could put the stand right in front of me. No good - too far away.

So now it’s to my left & high so it can overlap the hats s a bit.

Awkward is the word 🙄

I'm legally blind but correctable (-8.75L, -8.5R). I wear either glasses or contacts for everything. If I dont, I can only see about 6" in front of my face.

I've been wearing glasses since second grade, had bifocals in third.

Other than the occasional slipping from sweat, the glasses stay put.

I quit wearing glasses years ago, glad I did.

***Mic drop***

No further discussion necessary. You Sir, win the internet today.
He won the internet on July 7, 2012. 😁

I'm nearsighted, so I wear glasses when driving somewhere unfamiliar- not because I need them to see the road, but so I don't miss signs I need to see. I also wear them to events where I need sharper distance vision- concerts, ball games, etc. Although they make my distance vision perfect, they slightly degrade my near field vision, so I don't wear them when I play; I'd rather see my set list and notes more clearly. I can still see my bandmates clearly, and the sound tech & audience well enough.

Reactions: A J
What a bizarre old thread to resurrect - Yes I'm absolutely blind without my glasses so I tend to wear them.

There was a time where I was trying to be cool and I'd wear non-prescription sunglasses - and depending on the show I might do this again.

I've only had my glasses fall off once and it was a violent thing where I knocked them off during a solo - It hurt and luckily enough they stayed on stage and not in the crowd only to be stepped on and crushed haha.

Speaking of which - this whole thread is making me want to travel with some back up glasses just in case.

I wore contacts for 20 years, but went back to glasses about 15 years ago. I can't see anything without them (progressive lenses), so I have to wear them when playing live. My favorite are the rimless Silhouettes, which are just lenses with nose and side pieces attached. They tend to blend into your face and are not quite as noticeable. They're also featherweight. If it's an outdoor gig, I wear Cocoon sunglasses over them.

LLCS_26_sm.jpg AH_sm.jpg

Back