Pearl Decade Head Recommendation

The Onyx and Black Suede are gonna give you a little more sustain. The Pins and Hydraulic, less sustain. I find the Hydraulics a little too muted, for my taste. Pinstripe are as far as I'll go, for muffled heads. So, it's really just personal choice, and what you want, sound wise. And personal experimentation is really the only way to go. Unfortunately, that gets costly. Maybe just order heads for say, the 13" tom. An Emperor ..... and a Pinstripe. See which one you like ...... and then from there, order a set to match. If you find the Emperor has too much sustain, you probably can cross the Onxy off your list too, then. If you think the Pinstripe is too muted, then you can retire the thought of the Hydraulics.

Ebony pinstripes are the deadest head I have ever used. I do not care for them one bit. I would keep the old heads on there before putting on new Ebony Pinstripes. I like clear Pinstripes if that helps.

I used to own a Pearl Decade and to me the best head combination was Evans G2 clears over Evans EC Resos.

For the Decade Maple I would suggest the Emperors. Nice and resonant with a little more sustain than the Pins.

Back