Paiste crash alpha vs pst7

giaco

I am shopping for a alpha crash for general purpose rock pop.
I am a beginner so need a bit of help on this.

I have alpha hi-hat and a pst5 20'' ride
I am considering a alpha crash second hand but for a similar price (around £80) can also find a pst7 crash.

First of all what kind of crash do you recommend?
Thin, medium...I am oriented towards 16''

What are the difference between alpha and pst7 from a tonal point of view.
Any advice much appreciated

thanks

regards

Giaco

Don't do it, lol.

You should start moving away from those lines completely. They're cheap cymbals and they sound terrible.....very harsh and tinny.

You need to start investing in better New or Used cymbals.....like Zildjian A or K, or Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, or even Paiste 2002s.

The only cheap cymbals I'd recommend are Dream Cymbals. Particularly the Bliss line, but there are probably other lines that sound good too. I own some Dream Bliss hi hats and a crash and they're awesome.

Bite the bullet and save up for better cymbals, you'll thank me later.

I feel kinda the opposite. I think both Alpha and PST 7 are pretty far from being harsh and tinny, and I think if you want the Paiste sound, you couldn't get much more in the opposite direction sound-wise with Dream cymbals.

I've played a few Alphas back in the day, and I think the thinner crash models sound sound best, especially in a 16" size. I own several PST7's and I think the regular "crash" models sound best. In general I prefer PST7 over Alpha but they're somewhat different. I'd look on YouTube for videos of the same models you're considering to get a feel for what to expect so you can choose for yourself what sound you prefer.

I feel kinda the opposite. I think both Alpha and PST 7 are pretty far from being harsh and tinny, and I think if you want the Paiste sound, you couldn't get much more in the opposite direction sound-wise with Dream cymbals.

I've played a few Alphas back in the day, and I think the thinner crash models sound sound best, especially in a 16" size. I own several PST7's and I think the regular "crash" models sound best. In general I prefer PST7 over Alpha but they're somewhat different. I'd look on YouTube for videos of the same models you're considering to get a feel for what to expect so you can choose for yourself what sound you prefer.
They just sound shrill and clattery to me, like Sabian B8s. Actually I think the cheap Paistes sound worse than B8s, and that's saying something.

Granted, I've never been much of a Paiste fan. They're too far to the B8 side of the cymbal spectrum for me. Shrill, harsh, tinny, even offensive sounding at times.

I can't be the only one.

:poop:
They just sound shrill and clattery to me, like Sabian B8s. Actually I think the cheap Paistes sound worse than B8s, and that's saying something.

Granted, I've never been much of a Paiste fan. They're too far to the B8 side of the cymbal spectrum for me. Shrill, harsh, tinny, even offensive sounding at times.

I can't be the only one.

Sabian B8's to me are worst sounding cymbals ever made, I've heard el cheapo cymbals in children kits sound better. Any Paiste, even their brass stuff sounds better than a Sabian B8. All Sabians B8s should be melted and given to Paiste since they know how to make great sounding B8 Cymbals.

I am shopping for a alpha crash for general purpose rock pop.
I am a beginner so need a bit of help on this.

I have alpha hi-hat and a pst5 20'' ride
I am considering a alpha crash second hand but for a similar price (around £80) can also find a pst7 crash.

First of all what kind of crash do you recommend?
Thin, medium...I am oriented towards 16''

What are the difference between alpha and pst7 from a tonal point of view.
Any advice much appreciated

thanks

regards

Giaco

A pst7 is closer sounding to a 2002, the original Alphas are slightly darker, the newer a bit harsher (marketed toward younger metal players).

If you are going for the 2002 sound, get 1 inch bigger Pst7 to get a similar sound. They sell them in 17" and 19" .
Listen to the 17" thin and the 19" medium on Pasties site and compare to the 2002, its quite a surprise.

I have a few of the PST7 crash cymbals. I agree that the regular crash cymbals sound best. I loved my Alpha Hats but didn’t care for the ride or the crash. Not the same sonic quality as the 2002 but still a very good Paiste sound. To each their own. Maybe go hit a few other cymbals in a B20 if you have the option. I like Paiste so the PST7’s work great for me doing gigs. Hell I even love the 18” PST 5 thin crash I own.

I have a few of the PST7 crash cymbals. I agree that the regular crash cymbals sound best. I loved my Alpha Hats but didn’t care for the ride or the crash. Not the same sonic quality as the 2002 but still a very good Paiste sound. To each their own. Maybe go hit a few other cymbals in a B20 if you have the option. I like Paiste so the PST7’s work great for me doing gigs. Hell I even love the 18” PST 5 thin crash I own.

Yes, the PST5 thins are great sounding, too bad they are hard to find, I see the Rock sets and Universal sets on sale, but never the thins. Maybe the thins were cannibalizing the Alphas and and now the 900's and Paiste no longer makes them.

I’ve played a full set of Alpha Pro crashes in hundreds of gigs over the last 13 years and I’ve never had a band member, PA man or audience member complain about their sound.
As a very very very broad comparison I’d say that the PST7 and 8 are more of an all purpose cymbal aligned to the 2002 way of doing things. The Alpha Pro line are more aligned to the heavier rock side where Rude cymbals would be used, but they’re nowhere near as heavy. There is off course another line which you might be alluding to, the original Alpha line which I believe were Swiss made and didn’t have the “Rock” focus of the Alpha Pro line.
FWIW,after going through many many ride cymbals including Alpha Pro, 2002, Zildjian Mega Bell, Meinl MB10 (I think) and maybe others, I’ve settled on a Meinl Raker from the mid 80s. They were a B8 cymbal and Meinls attempt at the Rude market, it’s far and away the best ride cymbal ‘FOR ME’ that I’ve owned.

I also had an 18" PST5 thin crash and agree it sounded really nice. To me the PST7 is a big step up in sound and feel from being lathed on both sides, a detail the older PST5's lacked.

I don't think the lack of used PST5 crashes now had anything to do with competition though. I'd imagine a lot of folks buying PST5's are beginner "rock" drummers, and so Paiste probably sold a lot more heavy models, and I'd also imagine a lot of the thin crashes that were sold are cracked by now.

Hi guys
thank you very much for all the advise on this post. Sounds like a good choice for me going for a PST7 crash.
If you only have one crash would you go for the 16'' or 18'' medium?
thanks
Giaco

Hi guys
thank you very much for all the advise on this post. Sounds like a good choice for me going for a PST7 crash.
thanks
Giaco

I'm picking up a set of PST7's in a few days but I hear then 16" is nothing to write home about. I'd definitely go 18".

In my case I'll be using the 18" and a 20" Light Ride as a second crash. That seems to be a popular combo.

Hi guys
thanks
Giaco

I have an 18” and 19”. I like the 19 better than the 18” but would choose the 18” between those two.

I have an 18" medium and thin. Of the two I prefer the medium. The thin is a little breathy at times, which makes for a nice contrast, but the medium has a clearer tone and is more versatile.

A 19" is next on my list. If the 19" had been an option when I bought the two 18" I would have gone with 18 and 19 mediums instead.

Paiste crashes have a glassy, transparent quality to them and because of that I tend to prefer bigger sizes.

Back