Paiste 2002 Crash/Ride

Drum Note

Hi to all fellow drummer brothers out there and girls too.

This is my first post, I'm new to forums, thank you Bernhard for setting up Drummer World it's a fine product in service to us.

What do you guys think about a Paiste 2002 22" Crash also for Ride work. It's one of many on going searches to find the perfect Ride cymbal. I like a ride with a controllable wash, nice stick definition and a lovely crashability do you know. I use a 2002 20" Crash at the mo & it's good for what I'm looking for. I'm hoping the larger 22" baby will give me the more defined bell, more surface for playing ride work & that even darker crash.

I do use a gell underneath the 2002 20" to make it more like a ride, does you be knowing what I does be meaning.

Thank you

Keep playing

Drum Note

Man whatever sounds good to YOU! I can tell you personally that sound like a great combo but if you don’t like it...then you’ll never be satisfied. To quote the founder of GospelChops.com, “the best gear...is the gear you are playing”

Hi, Ya i think I can really work with this cymbal. I like crash/rides very much. I need to save up the spondookies and then onto a 2002, 19" Thin Crash for my next obsession. I does be likeing the Paiste Products a wee bit too much as I do the Yamaha stuff.

Thanks

keep Playing

Drum Note

I was going to recommend a 2002 Medium. They're basically the Crash/Ride of the 2002 series, as stated on Paiste's website. Unfortunately, they only have 16", 18" and 20" sizes.

The 22" crash will work okay for a ride if you're okay with the amount of wash. It really depends on your taste. Size of stick will affect the response too.
I thought it would the ticket too, but ended up getting the 22" ride instead.

I’m playing on 20”,21”22”,24” paiste Big Beats. They’re all crash rides, and they all sound great, although the 22and 24 are my favorites for riding.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve

I'd look at Giant Beats or Big Beats, they're more suited to what you're looking for.

Unless you're playing really quiet gigs crashes wash out to easily. I have a 20" crash I use as a ride when I'm having to really keep the volume down.

The quest for the perfect ride cymbal is much like the search for the holy grail!

I'd look at Giant Beats or Big Beats, they're more suited to what you're looking for.

Unless you're playing really quiet gigs crashes wash out to easily. I have a 20" crash I use as a ride when I'm having to really keep the volume down.

The quest for the perfect ride cymbal is much like the search for the holy grail!

Giant Beats and Big Beats are great cymbals. The Big Beats have a really nice tone but some folks might not like the more rigid feel they have versus Giant Beats, etc. Not too big a deal but I like cymbals to feel like they're flexing when I lay into them. Still, either have great tone. Just prefer Giant Beats a bit more.

Giant Beats and Big Beats are great cymbals. The Big Beats have a really nice tone but some folks might not like the more rigid feel they have versus Giant Beats, etc. Not too big a deal but I like cymbals to feel like they're flexing when I lay into them. Still, either have great tone. Just prefer Giant Beats a bit more.

I used giant beats for years before going to zildjians. They're amazing for the price.

They sound more zildjians than paiste

True. I have a 20" Giant Beat and it's really a nice versatile cymbal. I always thought it was comparable to my vintage A Zildjian but with sweeter more controlled overtones. The only GB I've heard that I didn't care much for was the 18" (non thin version). Good but not as nice sounding as the larger cymbals, IMO.

Have you considered a Sabian Bash Ride? I tried one (21") next to a GB and thought the sonic qualities were similar, but the BR crashed a bit easier and still had a good ping that wasn't over-washy.
I ended up buying the Bash, got it used and price wise was so much less expensive than the GB. Use it all the time.

I own a 22" 2002 crash, and use it as a ride as well as a crash.
It has a sweet bell, a nice blend of stick sound and wash, and can crash it and get right back to sticking.
The crash is beautiful, and smooth. It sounds great played soft or heavy.
IMO, the CRASH model (in any size) makes a fantastic ride cymbal for anyone who is after more than just pronounced stick ping.

I also have a Giant Beat 22" cymbal and it reacts in a lot of the same ways, only a little softer of everything, and the bell is not quite as pronounced. One of THE NICEST crash sounds I have ever owned.

The 22" Big Beat has similar character to the standard 2002, but has a bit of bite to it. Just that little bit of trash to the initial strike. It is a fantastic sounding cymbal with a beautiful crash, and it records superbly. The 21" Big Beat is higher pitched, and the 24" Big Beat is lower pitched, but they react in very similar ways.

I second the Bash Ride recommendation. I love that ride. Peace and goodwill.

Thanks for your replies,

I probably will go for the 2002, 22" Crash cuz I find the crashability of the 2002, 22" Ride a wee bit harsh and too thick. I know it's a heavier cymbal for ride work. I've owned a set of Giant Beats for 10 years and are lovely instruments and loved that they were all crash/rides. Having discovered the powerful ballsy sound of the 2002s with their shimmering sustain No other cymbals duz be coming close for this drummer here in the wee country here Ireland. They are the most beautiful musical cymbals I've ever played, just not gone on crashing those heavy rides for my style. This is the path I have to go down or to meet another drummer who owns one and get to play it and then order the golden disk.

Ya those 2002 Medium Crashes are known for having ride functionality, if they only made them 22"

I won't have my 2002 22" Crash for some time and I'll let ye guys know the story of it's versatility and tones.

God Bless

Keep Playing

Drum Note

Hi guy's, I hope you're all doing well. I've bought some nice 2002s over the last couple of years. Recently I bought a 2002 22 Ride and I'm not gone on it. I bought it online and when I received the cymbal I found the pitch too high for me. Would the 2002 20 Ride have a lower pitch. I've requested to return it for the 20 ride. The 22 is not for me. The bell is good and crash is great but the body ride pitch is not for me. What do you guy's think. Do you have the 20 and is it versatile. Thanks let me know you're experience please.
God bless.

Thank you, I've returned the ride. It looks like I'll go for the 2002 22 Crash and use this as my crash/ride. It's a nice big dark cymbal and can work with this. It's bell is decent and body for ride sticking and a great crash. God bless keep playing.

Back