Opinions Please

Sry... never played that one. The only brass snare I have played is the Pearl Free Floater 14x3.5. It was very awesome sounding snare.

Thats nice too but 60 bucks more plus it has a seam where the PDP is seamless and hammered.

Where have you found that the PDP is rolled instead of welded ?

I know the Ace (which could be an option too) is rolled but I've haven't found where SX 6.5x14" Dual Beaded Brass is rolled.

BTW, have you thought of getting an Acrolite, Excellent warm metal snare for a very affordable price on the Bay.

You know how much I love your Renowns, GD.. and I think this baby will work great with them and as a contrast with your maples.

This is very versatile too.. tunes up many different ways.

yamaha_sd493.jpg

Where have you found that the PDP is rolled instead of welded ?

I know the Ace (which could be an option too) is rolled but I've haven't found where SX 6.5x14" Dual Beaded Brass is rolled.

BTW, have you thought of getting an Acrolite, Excellent warm metal snare for a very affordable price on the Bay.

I have found nothing written either, but called the seller, a music store and was told it had no seam...

I'm not sure of your budget since bidding has ended on that item, but let me be the second to recommend Yamaha brass. Bright with an impressive dynamic range. I believe the shell from the '80s and '90s is different than what is being made these days. I bought mine (lightly used ) at a local music store for $250.00. I thought it was a steal because it's a great all around drum...here's mine.

Attachments

• Yamaha-Brass-5-x14---1-copy.gif
    Yamaha-Brass-5-x14---1-copy.gif
    100.5 KB · Views: 272
If it were me I would NOT buy the PDP. They are good drums, but great drums can be had for that price point.

Any old Rogers, Slingerland, or Gretsch chrome over brass drum will mow it down. As will Tama, Yamaha, Pearl... the list goes on.

My current favorite brass drums are my Pork Pie BBB (6.5x14 Black Beauty knock-off). It's set up with 42 strand wires, S-Hoops, and a coated CS head. I also have a heavy brass Keplinger.

The beaded shells will give you more mids than the straight ones, and I wouldn't sweat the seam, in my experience it doesn't make that much of a difference unless you are trying to sell it as a bit of a collectors item (sold my Yamaha copper that way).

The Pearl Sensitone and the Pork Pie BBB are great for that black beauty sound (or buy a Ludwig). The Yamaha and Tama brass drums I've had were also great, but were traded away for things I wanted more.

If I needed to own one brass drum it would be the Pork Pie BBB... if I could own two it would be a COB Rogers, Slingerland, Ludwig, or Gretsch in 5x14.

Well Gents, I appreciate all of the input but because of cash restraints, I bought the PDP snare. The drum was 229.00 all over the net but I found it new on eBay from Big Apple Music for 169.99. Put a new Evans Genera HD Dry batter on it cranked it down and will re-tune it tomorrow after some stretching. It definitely sounds different than my three maple snares and after a bit of tweaking it will be a welcomed addition.

Attachments

• P9170038.JPG
    P9170038.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 224
  • P9170039.JPG
    P9170039.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 214
  • P9170041.JPG
    P9170041.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 243
Oooo. Nice and fat! Great head selection as it makes any snare sing-really tones down any ring. Enjoy your new snare. Is it an accessory snare or will it be your main snare? I really like metal snares and I've always wanted to play a Trick all metal kit to hear how it sounds out of curiosity. Although a tight head is easier to play I love to play a fat snare like that loose for that round fat sound-seems a sin to play it too tight (just my preference). I know you will enjoy it.

Looks like a nice snare drum - I'd buy this one

Attachments

• PAISTE SNARE.jpg
    PAISTE SNARE.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 187
Hope it can please your anticipations!
I`d be curious about a little review. So far I had the chance to check out some PDP snare drums (all maple or birch) and actually they never sounded very good in my ears. Even when tuned they sounded very unsensitive and ploppy.

Honestly not what I expected. I don`t know why actually...

So, I`d be curious how the brass one sounds! Looks very good and I can`t imagine that it doesn`t "sound"!

Have fun with your new addition. :)

Karl

Congrats, it's a beauty. I have the same kit you do & have two brass snares (Risen & '66 Slingerland) and they are definitely different. I still love my Renown maple snare & find myself going to that one more than any.

This snare will be an auxillary snare. My 6.5 x 14 Steambent is my main snare. Kona I couldn't afford Mr. Ochletree's snare. With the Genera HD dry head this snare sounds fine. I have found the secret is knowing how to tune the resonant head and adjusting the snares.

Back