Opening for a famous band

Juniper

Gold Member
How about the other way around … famous bands that have opened for your band? 😎

Again. Ed Sheeran, Wolf Alice & Courtney Barnett

Obviously before they were all mega famous (especially the first one)

I hear Ed still talks about opening for my band on his private yet on his way home after banking a few more million after a tour……..*

*obviously jokingly

toddmc

Gold Member
my current metal band was supposed to be the first band on for Damage Plan at The Alrosa Villa the night that Dime got shot. We had to bow out of the show about a month before b/c our singer was "otherwise occupied" with the law due to bad decision making....I was still at the show with friends
Holy crap, what was that like? I still have that memory of where I was/ what I was doing (as you do with any major tragedy) when I heard the news....

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

Sort of.

Somewhere in the late 90s, we got booked to play with Classic Rock legend Dave Edmunds. Why? I'm not sure, it was a bit of an odd pairing.

Then, for some other odd reason I won't claim to know or understand, it was decided that we would go on AFTER Dave. So instead of "opening" we were "closing" the show. We went on at like 1am or something.

So technically, in a manner of speaking, yes Dave Edmunds opened for my band.

mikyok

Platinum Member
The Beat played before us at a festival in 2005.

About 2000 came to see them and 2000 left when they finished and we literally played to nobody :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . Amazing scheduling by the organisers!

Tom E

In 2016 I was in a Rhode Island bar band called Black Plain Road. One of the guys knew the sound man at The Stadium Theatre in Woonsocket RI so we got to open for Badfinger. The band who were all hired guns except for the only surviving original member Joey Molland. They could not have been nicer to us and the night was a blast.
Interesting side note: The band hadn't done much for many years BUT in the last scene of the series finale of Breaking Bad, as Walter lay dying in the dirt the song Baby Blue was playing as the show faded to black. The next day there were millions of downloads on I-Tunes. That one song on that one show resulted in a 3 year tour for Badfinger.

toddmc

Gold Member
Interesting side note: The band hadn't done much for many years BUT in the last scene of the series finale of Breaking Bad, as Walter lay dying in the dirt the song Baby Blue was playing as the show faded to black. The next day there were millions of downloads on I-Tunes. That one song on that one show resulted in a 3 year tour for Badfinger.
Wonder if they'll get another chance with the Better Call Saul finale?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Holy crap, what was that like? I still have that memory of where I was/ what I was doing (as you do with any major tragedy) when I heard the news....

it was surreal. The shooter pushed past us on his way to the stage, and I/we thought he was just some other guy trying to get a closer look. We were on the upper left side (of the room) raised area - by the sound board - and there was an exit there. When the shooting started we were sort of pushed out by people rushing out the door. It seemed to happen sort of slow, and fast at the same time. Like, when he went side stage, and came out from behind the front of the house speakers, it was like all the sound stopped, and things went in slow-mo for a minute. A lot of people were saying they thought it was part of the show later on, but it did not feel like that for me....I knew something was wrong when I first saw the guy on the stage. When the gun came out is when people I was with rushed the door

the rest of the night was petty hazy to me - and not b/c I was drunk/stoned, but just b/c I could not believe that it had just happened here in middle of nowhere Ohio. That club was a 2nd home/"safe haven"/hang out for me, and it had just changed more than I would ever know

toddmc

Gold Member
it was surreal. The shooter pushed past us on his way to the stage, and I/we thought he was just some other guy trying to get a closer look. We were on the upper left side (of the room) raised area - by the sound board - and there was an exit there. When the shooting started we were sort of pushed out by people rushing out the door. It seemed to happen sort of slow, and fast at the same time. Like, when he went side stage, and came out from behind the front of the house speakers, it was like all the sound stopped, and things went in slow-mo for a minute. A lot of people were saying they thought it was part of the show later on, but it did not feel like that for me....I knew something was wrong when I first saw the guy on the stage. When the gun came out is when people I was with rushed the door

the rest of the night was petty hazy to me - and not b/c I was drunk/stoned, but just b/c I could not believe that it had just happened here in middle of nowhere Ohio. That club was a 2nd home/"safe haven"/hang out for me, and it had just changed more than I would ever know
Never thought I'd it hear from someone who was actually there, undoubtedly one of the greatest tragedies in metal (well, maybe on par with Cliff of course).

Was lucky enough to meet the man himself (and the rest of Pantera) when they toured Oz and was pretty distraught when I heard the news.
Thanks for sharing your story (I'm sure it brings up some PTSD on your part) and thank God you got out safe!

Florian

Gold Member
Opened for:
Hall and Oates
Michael Stanley Band
The Temptations
Donnie Iris
Southside Johnny
Mitch Ryder
Eddie Money
Fabulous Thunderbirds

F

i havent done any supports but I really want to try to get a band going (my goal for this un-school-related year) and opening for Avenged Sevenfold. (my long term goal for life.)