Nordic vs Keller shells

I gathered they sorted out something, how do you feel now that Nick has remained 'owner' but stepped down from active drum building? It looked like they made some of their drama public and it has settled down. Probably make business sense to have a Jones in the company, if not just for the name, perhaps some experience oversight as well...plus makes their loyal boutique customers feel better, especially in their expansion efforts to not entirely sell out but rather grow....wise choice.

Canopus outsources many of their shell builds which I have no problem with. I believe someone mentioned the NeoVintage is done by Stone, some of the other mainline shells may be from Taiwan to their specs, only the Zelkovas are Japanese shells...some of small number specialty shell snares are partnered with custom shops. At the end of the day, its their R&D, concepts and final product builds coming from them.

Are you sure about this Canopus info? I think all of their drums except the new Bros kits are made in Japan.

In this listing for a used Yaiba (their low end Japanese made kit) you can clearly see inside of shell stamped "Made in Japan"
Yaiba Made in Japan

I think saying "only the Zelkovas are Japanese shells" is blatantly false.

Are you sure about this Canopus info? I think all of their drums except the new Bros kits are made in Japan.

In this listing for a used Yaiba (their low end Japanese made kit) you can clearly see inside of shell stamped "Made in Japan"
Yaiba Made in Japan

I think saying "only the Zelkovas are Japanese shells" is blatantly false.
I'm aware of the MIJ stamp, I've got my own Canopus arsenal and a super nerd fan ;)

The NV shells made in US has been talked about here, I believe it had something to do the older machinery/glue being used to replicate the vintage builds that they wanted. Their soft maple snare is an Antonio drum shell from Croatia.

Like I said, I'm not certain exactly on the birch/RFM shell sourcing but it was brought up on the forums they are working with Taiwanese builders which doesn't seem like a stretch. I can only say for certainty they partnered with legacy-family taiko makers from Japan to produce the Zelkova lines. If I'm going to Japan this year, I'll definitely make an effort to stop by in Suginami district and check out at least their retail shop, perhaps learn more. Honestly, I feel no different either way, their R&D and attention to detail is not lost for the work that goes into the final product; and bottom line I love their sound.

I'm aware of the MIJ stamp, I've got my own Canopus arsenal and a super nerd fan ;)

The NV shells made in US has been talked about here, I believe it had something to do the older machinery/glue being used to replicate the vintage builds that they wanted. Their soft maple snare is an Antonio drum shell from Croatia.

Like I said, I'm not certain exactly on the birch/RFM shell sourcing but it was brought up on the forums they are working with Taiwanese builders which doesn't seem like a stretch. I can only say for certainty they partnered with legacy-family taiko makers from Japan to produce the Zelkova lines. If I'm going to Japan this year, I'll definitely make an effort to stop by in Suginami district and check out at least their retail shop, perhaps learn more. Honestly, I feel no different either way, their R&D and attention to detail is not lost for the work that goes into the final product; and bottom line I love their sound.

I really missed the boat when Yaiba II Bop kits were $1,600 6 months ago.

I really missed the boat when Yaiba II Bop kits were $1,600 6 months ago.
I got lucky last fall, I bought directly on their JP website on the super cheap yen and even with shipping was beating out all the US prices increases by quite a bit. They then made a yen price adjustment right after on their JP site so I guess that was a one time trick.

Already happened, when DW changed over. The old kits with the original Camco style claw do sound pretty darn 👍 good
Gretsch too. "Man, the Jasper era shells are were it's at. Gretsch went down hill after switching to Keller shells." "Man, I can tell how different the Jasper and Keller shells are by how they smell."

Back