No- your 20 does not sound like a 22

A 10" tom doesn't sound like a 12" tom.

I think that may be part of the reason we have both options available.

My entire drumming life goes by and a 16" floor tom was thee drum for me.....UNTIL...i buy this Premier Signia ( support hoop) kit with a 12x14 and 14x16 hanging floor toms. The 12x14 didn't sound like the 16 but my love affair with 16s was over. That 14 sounded thunderous..punchy..focused..Huge. From that day forward I don't even consider 16" floor toms.

I’d have to say that a 20” sounds a lot more like a 22” than an 18” sounds like a 20”. I’ve always thought there was some weird size-threshold when it came to kick drums between the 18 and 20.

I have a 20” CM, 22” Ludwig vintage 3-ply, and a 24” CM. They are all different and wonderful at the same time.

let’s see how many guys are triggered!
Too many variables.
How carefully do you analyse your own drums and cymbals? Playing a kit myself, I don't really like 20" bass drums, my sweet spot is a 22". Ride cymbals, I can definitely hear a difference between 20" and 22". I prefer a 21 or 22" ride.
Interestingly, once you add in microphones and rooms - which change a lot about the sound, it can be hard to differentiate.
We've sampled tons of gear for Toontrack. We really have to go the extra mile to make each kit piece sound different. They mostly sound like me.
If we used the same heads and tunings, same mics, in the same room, you couldn't really pinpoint any particular snare drum, or brand of kit. Obviously you can tell a 10" tom from a 14", just from pitch alone. You certainly couldn't hear a difference between 20" and 22" rides.
So we have to use different heads, different tuning approaches, different sticks, different mics, ideally different rooms, just to provide enough variation.
But playing the kit myself - I can tell a difference.

Too many variables.
How carefully do you analyse your own drums and cymbals? Playing a kit myself, I don't really like 20" bass drums, my sweet spot is a 22". Ride cymbals, I can definitely hear a difference between 20" and 22". I prefer a 21 or 22" ride.
Interestingly, once you add in microphones and rooms - which change a lot about the sound, it can be hard to differentiate.
We've sampled tons of gear for Toontrack. We really have to go the extra mile to make each kit piece sound different. They mostly sound like me.
If we used the same heads and tunings, same mics, in the same room, you couldn't really pinpoint any particular snare drum, or brand of kit. Obviously you can tell a 10" tom from a 14", just from pitch alone. You certainly couldn't hear a difference between 20" and 22" rides.
So we have to use different heads, different tuning approaches, different sticks, different mics, ideally different rooms, just to provide enough variation.
But playing the kit myself - I can tell a difference.
I love this post!

When people come on here agonizing about choices, my position is almost always "Don't worry about it."

I have definite preferences and I can hear the differences between various equipment, but in real-world application you can make almost any reasonable choice work, and with all the variables that come into play before music reaches the listener's ear, it can be impossible to tell what gear was used.

In closing, I’d like to say to all my friends here, old and new, near and far, that my 20” Tama Starclassic Birch bass drum sounds bigger than my friend’s 1970’s Ludwig Thermogloss 26”. Not only that, when I tune it tight it sounds like Max Roach’s Gretsch from his recordings with Clifford Brown. With the same Evans emad and ported front head. It’s truly an amazing drum.

Thank you, and good morning..

In closing, I’d like to say to all my friends here, old and new, near and far, that my 20” Tama Starclassic Birch bass drum sounds bigger than my friend’s 1970’s Ludwig Thermogloss 26”.
It tends to be personal preference and not really factual.
Having sampled hundreds of drums in recording studios, I find Ludwig bass drums are usually pretty beefy sounding.
I have a Noble & Cooley 24" kick and an Oaklawn Camco 24" and the Camco sounds way fatter (and actually nicer) than the N&C.
I haven't played a 20" bass drum that really did anything for me, but again, personal taste, not fact that can be projected on to all 20" bass drums.

It might sound great.

But it’s not a 22.

That is all.

In closing, I’d like to say to all my friends here, old and new, near and far, that my 20” Tama Starclassic Birch bass drum sounds bigger than my friend’s 1970’s Ludwig Thermogloss 26”. Not only that, when I tune it tight it sounds like Max Roach’s Gretsch from his recordings with Clifford Brown. With the same Evans emad and ported front head. It’s truly an amazing drum.

Thank you, and good morning..
The contradiction confuses me,

My Stock Car with open Headers, does not sound like my Wifes 98 Toyota Camry either..

But my Old 20 Inch Ludwig sounds better to me than my Other newer 22 Inch Drum,LOL

The contradiction confuses me,
There is no contradiction. All that was stated is that a 20 does not sound like a 22. No qualifiers were given other than they dont sound like each other. A 20 sounding bigger than a 26 is still okay because, again, no qualifiers.

There is no contradiction. All that was stated is that a 20 does not sound like a 22. No qualifiers were given other than they dont sound like each other. A 20 sounding bigger than a 26 is still okay because, again, no qualifiers.
Solid observation. The only real qualifier was that the 20 might sound great. Also, since 22s and 20s can't sound sound the same, there is an implication that 22s can't sound great.

But that's ok, they can sound amazing. 20s can have great.

No- Your great bass drum doesn't sound like an amazing bass drum.

My 20 sounds bigger than my 26, but my 26 sounds rounder than my 20. It's all very simple.

It’s been a while since we saw that picture Al, I was beginning to get worried.
It’s only 3 months until Christmas, thought I’d treat you all…:sneaky:
The Grinch Christmas GIF

I have both, they both sound like a bass drum mic'ed up live.

Recording is a different sport mind

Back