No Snare Bed?

I picked up a Tama Artwood snare about 20 years ago. Really nice finish, 10 lugs, 5.5 x 14. Its well made and has a great throw off. After I picked it up I got in to the Roland V drum and did not touch it. A few days ago I decided to put it on the acoustic kit and freshened both heads. To my surprise there is no snare bed on the bottom bearing edge. Is this a fault? I can see the bottom head sitting better with out it, and the snare sounds great. But I was expecting to see a cutout. Is this common? Thanks.

dwsabianguy

Some Tama drums have extremely wide snare beds, to the point where you don't see them until you put them on a flat surface and shine a light from inside. I had a Starclassic Performer that was like this, and currently have an 80s Imperialstar that is the same way; each snare bed goes beyond the four lugs nearest each snare clip. They both sound great.

How does it sound?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Some snare beds are so subtle as to be hard to spot. They can be extremely wide and very shallow.

To be sure, you'd have to sit the drum on a known flat surface, as in machinist flat.

Personally, if the drum sounds great, I wouldn't worry about it. 😊

ToneT

Take the bottom head off. Do you see / feel any dips in the bearing edge over the butt plate and strainer side?
Some snares like a Rogers Dynasonic had such slight bearing edges, leading one to think there wasn't one.
Put the reso side on a flat surface with a lit flashlight inside the drum. Spin the drum slowly. Any light coming through the butt and strainer sides of the edge?

ToneT

Take the bottom head off. Do you see / feel any dips in the bearing edge over the butt plate and strainer side?
Some snares like a Rogers Dynasonic had such slight bearing edges, leading one to think there wasn't one.
Put the reso side on a flat surface with a lit flashlight inside the drum. Spin the drum slowly. Any light coming through the butt and strainer sides of the edge?
Correction: the Rogers Dynasonic snare beds were very slight.