New "vintage" kits

It’s a 3 ply set they made for me in navy blue sparkle lacquer.
Don't know what config that is

I stand corrected, their 12th & Vine are 5 plys but set up like classic 3 plys with either maple/maghog/walnut with poplar in the middle. So if they are offering 3 plys, I don't see them on their website.

Are you thinking that there is some universal standard for how thick a ply is? There isn't. Not even for the same manufacturer, Some of the older 3 ply shells may be thicker than a modern 10 ply shell.

Don't know what config that is

I stand corrected, their 12th & Vine are 5 plys but set up like classic 3 plys with either maple/maghog/walnut with poplar in the middle. So if they are offering 3 plys, I don't see them on their website.

It was a special order.

Oh btw:

Bernie Stone from Stone Custom Drums makes the shells for the Canpous Neo-Vintage drums.

Just an FYI.
Bernie is still with us!?. I knew he had health issues years ago. He had done bearing edge work on a stave drum moons ago which was near miraculous. This is a good day!.

Sakae Almighty (3 ply and lighter hardware then Gretsch)
Slight correction: The Sakae Trilogy series is the 3-ply, the light ones. (Sakae Almighties are heavy, though beautiful-sounding drums.)
Both are becoming harder to find, esp in small sizes, since the Japanese-based operation closed their doors 3 years ago.

Slight correction: The Sakae Trilogy series is the 3-ply, the light ones. (Sakae Almighties are heavy, though beautiful-sounding drums.)
Both are becoming harder to find, esp in small sizes, since the Japanese-based operation closed their doors 3 years ago.

Correct, I will adjust it.

I almost bought a Trilogy bop model a few weeks ago. To bad I was just a bit short on cash.

Here in Europe we have quit the shells/kits for sale I have noticed.

btw, my favorite is the Pac-D. The sizes and wood put most big kits to shame under the mic.

If you could find a Ludwig Club Date (either USA or SE) kit still in stock, it'd be a great score. I play the large Fab kit tuned medium-low for rock, but it tunes up for a nice jazzy ping too.

If you could find a Ludwig Club Date (either USA or SE) kit still in stock, it'd be a great score. I play the large Fab kit tuned medium-low for rock, but it tunes up for a nice jazzy ping too.
I didn't get along well with a new Club Date kit. Beautiful looking but quite cardboard sounding. Quite the opposite of musical and not at all suited for jazz.

Those Pearl President Series Deluxe drums do look good to me, and at a great price. Standard Ply, six layer 7.5mm Lauan shells. They sounded good on the DCP videos but then again most everything sounds good on their videos.

I have a Sakae Trilogy snare that is my #1 sounding snare. Very light and tunes any way you want. If I could find a reasonably priced kit I'd buy it.

I am looking for a new gigging kit. Of what's available new, Pearl President or Canopus Yaiba are in consideration. Price has a lot to do with it.

I have owned a lot of the kits listed and play a lot of jazz gigs ( small group and Big Band ) and my personal choice for these gigs would be the kit I ordered , a Gretsch USA Custom. I love my Sonor Vintage kit as well, but for higher tunings for Jazz gigs, I prefer the Gretsch USA Custom. I also think the Gretsch USA Custom have the best bass drums made today.

Someone mentioned the N&C Union series ( Tulipwood) and I don't think they would be the best choice for a Jazz kit from N&C. I have owned Horizon and CD Maples N&C kits , and I really like the CD Maples the most. They have a very clear note, can be tuned up high and don't choke.
The Horizons are warmer and have a fuzzier attack than the CD Maples.

Jazz? There’s no money in jazz. Spend less than $500 on one of those Sonor AQX kits instead. The $$$$ spent on high end jazz drums will never be earned back!

😉
True. That’s also probably true for most music being made today at a semi-pro or hobby level. I haven’t gigged 100+ shows in a year since the late 90s or early 2000s. Hard to justify spending a ton on new gear these days.

True. That’s also probably true for most music being made today at a semi-pro or hobby level. I haven’t gigged 100+ shows in a year since the late 90s or early 2000s. Hard to justify spending a ton on new gear these days.
If you do corporate gigs, weddings, or dive bars you can still make a decent amount of playing time these days, even in covid times.

But jazz gigs are scarce and usually for the young kids from the conservatory.

Jazz? There’s no money in jazz. Spend less than $500 on one of those Sonor AQX kits instead. The $$$$ spent on high end jazz drums will never be earned back!

😉
The Sonor kits are really heavy for their size. I had one of the smallish kits and the kick weighed as much as a 20" DW kick.

Plus I'm not investing with a ROI in mind. I don't think you are either, Bo, or else you would not own a zillion kits and be buying/ selling as much as you post here :cool:

The Sonor kits are really heavy for their size. I had one of the smallish kits and the kick weighed as much as a 20" DW kick.

Plus I'm not investing with a ROI in mind. I don't think you are either, Bo, or else you would not own a zillion kits and be buying/ selling as much as you post here :cool:
I just have disposable income 😉

Back