New "vintage" kits

s1212z

It’s a 3 ply set they made for me in navy blue sparkle lacquer.
Don't know what config that is

I stand corrected, their 12th & Vine are 5 plys but set up like classic 3 plys with either maple/maghog/walnut with poplar in the middle. So if they are offering 3 plys, I don't see them on their website.

Fred D

Pioneer Member
Are you thinking that there is some universal standard for how thick a ply is? There isn't. Not even for the same manufacturer, Some of the older 3 ply shells may be thicker than a modern 10 ply shell.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Don't know what config that is

I stand corrected, their 12th & Vine are 5 plys but set up like classic 3 plys with either maple/maghog/walnut with poplar in the middle. So if they are offering 3 plys, I don't see them on their website.

It was a special order.

Bozozoid

Oh btw:

Bernie Stone from Stone Custom Drums makes the shells for the Canpous Neo-Vintage drums.

Just an FYI.
Bernie is still with us!?. I knew he had health issues years ago. He had done bearing edge work on a stave drum moons ago which was near miraculous. This is a good day!.

Sakae2xBopster

Sakae Almighty (3 ply and lighter hardware then Gretsch)
Slight correction: The Sakae Trilogy series is the 3-ply, the light ones. (Sakae Almighties are heavy, though beautiful-sounding drums.)
Both are becoming harder to find, esp in small sizes, since the Japanese-based operation closed their doors 3 years ago.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Slight correction: The Sakae Trilogy series is the 3-ply, the light ones. (Sakae Almighties are heavy, though beautiful-sounding drums.)
Both are becoming harder to find, esp in small sizes, since the Japanese-based operation closed their doors 3 years ago.

Correct, I will adjust it.

I almost bought a Trilogy bop model a few weeks ago. To bad I was just a bit short on cash.

Here in Europe we have quit the shells/kits for sale I have noticed.

btw, my favorite is the Pac-D. The sizes and wood put most big kits to shame under the mic.

Iristone

If you could find a Ludwig Club Date (either USA or SE) kit still in stock, it'd be a great score. I play the large Fab kit tuned medium-low for rock, but it tunes up for a nice jazzy ping too.