New Guitar Technology

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
For our Guitar playing friends, I was just watching GEAR, a show on HD channel Mojo.
The host introduces new gear in all walks of life. Tonight he showed two new Guitar technologies. One was an Epiphone Guitar/Amp combo that uses a separate amp for each of the six strings, and allows for different effects to put on each. Pretty cool sounds coming out of the guitar for sure. The second was the Gibson Robot, which has automatic, motorized tuning pegs. Pull out a knob, continue to strum and watch as the guitar tunes itself. A lot of technology and probably a threat to all of the purests but was very interesting to me. Now if we can get the tuning pegs on our drums we will be all set.

Tonight he showed two new Guitar technologies. One was an Epiphone Guitar/Amp combo that uses a separate amp for each of the six strings, and allows for different effects to put on each. Pretty cool sounds coming out of the guitar for sure.

So, it's basically like having 6, one string guitars, each string running through a separate amp completely?

I've had this idea floating through my head for a long time, wondering why someone doesn't put this into play. You would be able to strum as many strings as you want without losing distortion.

I doubt it anytime soon... A guitar string requires much less force to tune it, therefore it can be done with small electric motors. However, drums, on which any given set can contain anywhere from 60 to 160 (maybe even more?) lugs, most of which take a bit of force to turn (much more than that of turning guitar tuning knobs, especially if you're tuning a drum high, such as a snare or high tom). A kind of electronic tuner for a drumset would be FAR too complicated and costly. For now, we'll just have to use our ears (or drum dial? anyone?), and take 30 minutes to tune. It's part of our job as drummers.

The Gibson Robot (SG and Les Paul) is actually a really brilliant bit of kit. It uses a set of piezo pickups to work out the individual note of each string and corrects it accordingly. It'll even do the intonation! It also accommodates for alternate tunings like DADGAD, Drop D, Open C and the like - so it's a brilliant idea. It's just a shame they're only doing a limited run for now and whilst the tuners aren't strictly 'necessary' the idea is excellent.

Line 6's Variax is another cool piece of kit that models sounds from other guitars into its own signal and also does the alternate tuning, but in a different way. It doesn't tune the guitar, you do that, but it simply changes the output signal and it really is very convincing - I borrowed a Variax for about a month and I was seriously impressed. One more thing I borrowed was a Roland VG-88 which does essentially the same thing as the Variax (modelling, modelled instruments and tunings, etc) but is instead a floor unit - again, very convincing Rickenbacker 12 String sounds coming out of that and all it needed was a standard guitar with a special pickup mounted on it (again, a piezo).

Some of the stuff available to guitarists is simply mind-boggling and largely unnecessary, but us guitarists love our toys and gadgets. Not a day goes by when I think of another guitar I could buy or a gadget that might be useful. That said, I actually use everything I have, so it hasn't gotten to epically stupid levels yet.

Incidentally, Gretsch used to have a hideously complex stereo system whereby one pickup would send to one amp for the treble strings and one pickup the bass strings to separate amps. That was in the early 60's!

The second was the Gibson Robot, which has automatic, motorized tuning pegs. Pull out a knob, continue to strum and watch as the guitar tunes itself.

I've seen a number of the Robot guitars for sell on Craigslist in the area. That might be a sign of something, but I'm not sure what. They just came out last Fall or Spring, right? It's hard for me to believe that Gibson will generate large demand for these things.

It's not a robot, but has anyone used these "Resotune" drum tuners, which helps tune drums to notes. I reckon there is a thread or two on it around here.

Line 6's Variax is another cool piece of kit that models sounds from other guitars into its own signal and also does the alternate tuning, but in a different way. It doesn't tune the guitar, you do that, but it simply changes the output signal and it really is very convincing - I borrowed a Variax for about a month and I was seriously impressed. One more thing I borrowed was a Roland VG-88 which does essentially the same thing as the Variax (modelling, modelled instruments and tunings, etc) but is instead a floor unit - again, very convincing Rickenbacker 12 String sounds coming out of that and all it needed was a standard guitar with a special pickup mounted on it (again, a piezo).

That's ironic piece of gearhead gear, isn't it? It's a gadget that functions against gearhead mentality: Buy more gear!!

Absolutely. But on the other hand it makes you want to buy the modelled instruments! After using it for a month, I wanted a Sitar, a Banjo, a couple of 12-strings and a nice Resonator! If I didn't have the space, however, I'd be more than happy with the sounds the Variax (700) produced for basic home recording. They are very close replicas.

the Gibson Robot, which has automatic, motorized tuning pegs. Pull out a knob, continue to strum and watch as the guitar tunes itself.
I remember seeing this as a "prototype" custom at the 1992 NAMM show. At the time, they were hoping to sell it to cats who play lots of different open tunings. 1 guitar to do the work of several, all at the push of a button.

How's this for kick-a$$ technology?

I was shown a piece of superconducting material that they actually use at Cern once during a lecture, a piece of material with a cross section of no more than a square inch (well, maybe a little more... like 1,5 square inch) that they pass 15.000 amps through. Pretty amazing. Obviously that doesn't work at room temperature, it needs to be cooled down to only a few degrees Kelvin in order for it to become superconductive.

And has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the world yet?

Another useful link

I remember seeing this as a "prototype" custom at the 1992 NAMM show. At the time, they were hoping to sell it to cats who play lots of different open tunings. 1 guitar to do the work of several, all at the push of a button.

It was mentioned that it may eliminate the need for a guitar tech and multiple guitars being ushered onstage during a show.

i think the gibson robot is a neat idea but it seems like it would just make it harder to tune by ear, and its not like every guitar you play will be a robot either. coming from someone who plays more guitar than drums, i wouldnt buy it.

moog made a guitar that i pretty much cant even describe, youd have to hear it. it uses some crazy contant synth/sustain technology, its pretty amazing. im too lazy to post a link so just search 'moog guitar' and youll find it, its the only guitar they make im pretty sure.

Back