New SpeedKing

Jbravo

Is anyone other than me excited about the possibility of seeing a new SpeedKing pedal being released at NAMM?

Ever since I heard the possibility mentioned I’ve been anticipating this. I really like my atlas pro double pedal, but lately I’ve just been using a single.

If they make an appearance, I think I’ll be in for one.

If anyone knows more about this and can say anything I’d love more info!!

Ever since it was hinted at in this thread, I've been salivating:

I'm anticipating an announcement at NAMM?

Ever since it was hinted at in this thread, I've been salivating:

I'm anticipating an announcement at NAMM?

That’s the same thread that lit the fire in me! But I haven’t been able to find another whisper about it-l’m starving for info!?

I’d love a modern speed king! It was my first pedal and to this day I haven’t found anything that felt like it. Or squeaked like it.

The first one I played- on the middle school kit.(and I’m 57 now) I could live with squeak-less though...?

Last edited:
Let's just hope Ludwig does it "the right way" and doesn't put it at a Tama Dyna-Sync or Rogers Dyno-Matic pedal price point. We don't really need ANOTHER $300 + pedal on the market. Besides, you can get used Speed Kings for less than $100. When they re-issued the Acrolites a few years ago and priced them at $300, I thought that was a bad move. At that time (prices have risen slightly since then), you could get a "real" used Acrolite for around $100. Why pay three times a much for a re-issue when you can have the real thing?

For all it's fame, the Speed King was not very adjustable. Spring tension and that was it. No angle or footboard adjustment. It does have a unique feel. The thing I always liked about it is that it comes apart for easy transport. The feel is just so so for me. I don't think most drummers would ever say it's the best feeling pedal ever made. Some do like it though. It will be interesting to see if they stay true to the roots of the Speed King with minor tweaks, or they go all out space age high tech. Maybe they can FINALLY fix the squeak? I guess we'll find out soon enough. That sound you hear is Bermuda entering this thread......................

... For all it's fame, the Speed King was not very adjustable. Spring tension and that was it. No angle or footboard adjustment. ...

Beater height perhaps doesn't count - but the heelplate can actually be adjusted to convert the pedal from shortboard into a longboard. With the heelplate fastened, the feel of the pedal is completely other than with it loose, which I think is the setting you most often encounter. Funnily, this setting seems to be very rarely offered by other pedals.

/Magnus

The new Speed King, if there is one, will undoubtedly look almost exactly like the original, classic version. It might even have a familiar beater. Knowing Ludwig, they'll probably put a drum key & holder under the footboard and rubber on the feet to grip the hoop.

Well, that's what I would do. :)

t does have a unique feel. The thing I always liked about it is that it comes apart for easy transport.

This is about the only reason I play one. I play in the Rockabilly scene & stand up most of the time. That pedal is perfect for this type of music, but not much else.

Maybe they can FINALLY fix the squeak? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

May they never fix that! It's too much a part of the mystique. :ROFLMAO:

So Jon, what are the improvements? I can't tell from that pic.

The first one I played- on the middle school kit.(and I’m 57 now) I could live with squeak-less though...?
I can live with the squeak , I just hope it has a better strap so it doesn’t break. There is no other pedal that has the Speed Kings action.

I can live with the squeak , I just hope it has a better strap so it doesn’t break. There is no other pedal that has the Speed Kings action.

if the strap is the same as the old ones I may have a new one made of aluminum bar stock with holes drilled at each end. That way you could also eliminate any slack from the strap/pin area, and I’m not too concerned with being able to fold the pedal flat.

Back