New pedal for a Speed King loyalist?

Well, Bermuda is certainly a trustworthy guy, so I'm intrigued about this potential Speed King Reissue. Maybe at NAMM, perhaps?

IF there is to be a re-issue, I just hope Ludwig does it right. Remember when they reissued the Acrolites a few years ago, they put them at a premium price point ($300+). Everyone knows you can find a "real" used vintage Acrolite for around $150 or so (used to be able to get them for about $100 five years ago). I certainly hope that Ludwig doesn't add another $200+ pedal to the market (See Tama Dyna-Sync, DW Direct Drive, New Rogers Dyno-Matic etc.) Again, we all know you can get a "real" used Speed King for around $100 (depending upon condition).

Either way, this will be an interesting development to keep our eyes on.

The only "modern" version of this pedal I knew of was the Tama King Beat. Had the same spring set up as the Speed with a lot more mass & bulk.

I use a Speed King because it's portable & easy to use. It folds up so well in my case that I don't have to use a separate one. Very dependable.

The only "modern" version of this pedal I knew of was the Tama King Beat. Had the same spring set up as the Speed with a lot more mass & bulk.
Have you played that pedal .... I'm curious, because I have one. Needs a rebuild/cleaning. Wondering if it's worth it.

Can't say anything about anything, but if you like the old Speed King, you'll LOVE the new one! I mean, IF there is one...
You’re getting me excited... I don’t wanna be excited. I have a daughter getting married next October?. Is it better than the atlas pro? Have they come up with a way to make it into a double? Or would they if they were gonna??

The only really modern pedal that SK Feel can provide is my own. This is specially designed. You can adjust the degree of damping with the adjusting nuts on the threaded rod.

Attachments

• DSC04318 -3.JPG
    DSC04318 -3.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC04808.JPG
    DSC04808.JPG
    571.2 KB · Views: 29
Skilas I dig your pedal. What is the adjustment screw on the right side of the cam for?

Again, stellar work but I don’t understand why you would want to add friction with the roller on the strap in the fixed position.
Sorry but I do not understand now what is meant. Which friction and where? which roller?

Wow so you really are an inventor. Machinist too? Awesome work. Much respect.

Were you trying to re-create the SK feel as a design goal? Really interesting stuff.

I'm in the dark on the damping too. Never heard the term associated with a pedal before. Is damping variable friction to adjust feel?

Have you played that pedal .... I'm curious, because I have one. Needs a rebuild/cleaning. Wondering if it's worth it.
I had 2 at one time when I had twin kicks and I'll say they're bulletproof as far as durability. I did find that over time, the spring would get pretty weak and no amount of turn on the adjusting handle would help.
I'd gut it & see what's up. If the spring can be replaced with something modern, you'd have a pedal that would last for life.

I had 2 at one time when I had twin kicks and I'll say they're bulletproof as far as durability. I did find that over time, the spring would get pretty weak and no amount of turn on the adjusting handle would help.
I'd gut it & see what's up. If the spring can be replaced with something modern, you'd have a pedal that would last for life.
Cool. Thanx for the reply. I'll dig into it.

That's funny. My used King Beat had an extremely hard spring. I could not play with it because the cap nut had dropped out before I reached the right tension. So I modified the spring unit. Since then, the pedal is a dream. Now the question arises whether my previous owner has installed a harder spring or Tama has changed something.

Now the question arises whether my previous owner has installed a harder spring or Tama has changed something.
Good question. Take it apart and see if you can mod that one a bit to your liking. I miss the one I had because it was really simplistic. Pedals now have infinite adjustments, and while that's fine, it can reach a point of "too much".

Good question. Take it apart and see if you can mod that one a bit to your liking. I miss the one I had because it was really simplistic. Pedals now have infinite adjustments, and while that's fine, it can reach a point of "too much".

Agree, I can adjust lots of new ones to give you double notes , like Bonzos Kashmir, with just one slam with ease and sometimes unwanted.

I used a Speed King pedal throughout the '80s and '90s and never gave it a second thought.
After about 20 years without playing drums, I decided to get a kit again and ended up with a cheap Pearl Forum series with a single chain P-890 pedal.
The response of the P-890 was incredibly slow, so I picked up a refurbished Speed King and I instantly noticed a huge improvement.

I've recently upgraded to a Gretsch Renown kit and I believe that I owe it to myself to see what other pedals may be a better fit for me than the Speed King.

1. I am anticipating that some will reply with, "if you like the Speed King, then why switch?"
As I have never played a pedal other than the Speed King and the Pearl P-890, I don't have a clue what other pedals I would prefer to the Speed King.

2. I also anticipate that some will reply with, "go to your local drum purveyor and try out a selection and see what you like."
I intend to do this as well, but I greatly value the expertise and opinions of my fellow forum drummers.

After my experience with the P-890, I have convinced myself that my issue is with chain drives and therefore I need a direct drive to get the action I prefer.
My opinion of chain drives may be off the mark based solely on the inferior P-890, without checking out other chain drive pedals.

So... for someone that has been a fan of the Speed King and wants to upgrade to newer technology, what does everyone suggest?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Look at my post re: Tama Iron Cobra.
Maybe it’s because I’m old but of all the pedals I’ve had in my 60 plus years this is the best I’ve ever owned by far. The adjustments are infinite for action and speed. Granted it’s a heavy piece of equipment but is so well made its worth the little extra weight especially as it comes with a sturdy lightweight, hard shell carrying case.

Try some direct drive pedals.

I always loved how Speed Kings felt. Wasn't in love with depending on a pedal no longer being produced.

Never bonded with another pedal as much as with a Speed King - until I tried a DD. I now use an inexpensive PDP Concept DD pedal. It feels great.

Back