New mid level kit vs 27 year old pro level kit

Franklin5

Hello. Probably not the best worded thread topic, but here goes: I have two DW kits from approx 27 years ago. While I like the kits, I feel like I need something new in hopes of bringing some inspiration, so to speak. I have been considering the Gretsch Reknown series as a potential contender for a new kit, but wanted to see if anyone had opinions regarding older top tier kits vs new mid tier kits. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I tend to think that the kits coming out today would be a tier or two up the ladder had they come out thirty years ago. Thirty years ago only the top-shelf drumsets came with isolation mounting systems; now you can only find the lowest-end kits without them, it seems. I currently have my eyes on a Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch kit, that easily would have been a premium highest-end kit thirty years ago. The first-generation Yamaha Stage Custom I bought in 1998 would have been drooled over by a consumer from 1968 (especially its hardware).

But in terms of the Renown, they get a lot of love here on DW, and if they're ultimately pleasing to listen to and play to you, that's the important part. I bet in terms of build quality and craftsmanship they're at least equivalent to your old DWs. (and doesn;t DW own Gretsch now?)

I tend to think that the kits coming out today would be a tier or two up the ladder had they come out thirty years ago. Thirty years ago only the top-shelf drumsets came with isolation mounting systems; now you can only find the lowest-end kits without them, it seems. I currently have my eyes on a Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch kit, that easily would have been a premium highest-end kit thirty years ago. The first-generation Yamaha Stage Custom I bought in 1998 would have been drooled over by a consumer from 1968 (especially its hardware).

But in terms of the Renown, they get a lot of love here on DW, and if they're ultimately pleasing to listen to and play to you, that's the important part. I bet in terms of build quality and craftsmanship they're at least equivalent to your old DWs. (and doesn;t DW own Gretsch now?)
Thanks so much for the reply! All of that makes sense. Of course, some would say to just go and play a few kits, but I have found that in many cases music stores are lacking in terms of kit options, and to be honest trying out a kit on a showroom floor is never ideal in my opinion. Thanks again.

I have two DW kits from approx 27 years ago. ........ I have been considering the Gretsch Reknown series as a potential contender for a new kit ......
If the Gretsch Renown was "made in the USA" ..... it'd have a much higher price tag. I don't think they're mid-level in any way, except for the price, and of course, a more narrow focus on available sizes and colors. They have a very good reputation.

I would think if there was a sizes/dimensions differences/ change up/ involved
may sway 'it to a newer set +/-
would there be a dimension change/difference?.
thanks for posting : )

Last edited:
.... While I like the kits, I feel like I need something new in hopes of bringing some inspiration, so to speak.....

That's reason enough to get a new kit, as long as you realize that the honeymoon period will wear off - maybe quickly.

If the Gretsch Renown was "made in the USA" ..... it'd have a much higher price tag. I don't think they're mid-level in any way, except for the price, and of course, a more narrow focus on available sizes and colors. They have a very good reputation.
Totally agree. I think "mid-priced" might be a better descriptor for the Renowns, but certainly not mid-level in any way.

The DWs are about 25 years away from sounding vintage whereas an rn2 will take another 50

Also

The DWs I guess are considerably rarer, from a previous millennium and most importantly from a pivotal time for the makers. This gives them more desirability/interest and future value

I like rn2s from my limited experience of them. Never played DWs but I think they are not super fashionable at the mo (which they will be some day) so worth holding on to

Maybe spending a bit of that future extra cash on listening to more live and recorded music would be more inspiring than new drums

Sorry if this sounds a bit pompous. This is what I would try and tell myself in your position

You seem to have the itch-why not scratch it. But there is three outcomes after that-one you get a new kit and you're happy forever, the second is a new kit and you are happy for a little bit then you want a newer one, or three you get a new kit and think damn I should have stayed in place and regret it. So you have a two out of three chances of happiness and just one for regret so with that "kinda" logic I'd go for it.

You seem to have the itch-why not scratch it. But there is three outcomes after that-one you get a new kit and you're happy forever, the second is a new kit and you are happy for a little bit then you want a newer one, or three you get a new kit and think damn I should have stayed in place and regret it. So you have a two out of three chances of happiness and just one for regret so with that "kinda" logic I'd go for it.

Well - the 4th is that you get a new kit, have an over the top honeymoon period, then settle in to a "yep, these are pretty good, but if I'm being honest, then the old ones were pretty good too."

No wildbill there is only 3 options-you're making it too complicated and ruining my argument. He's got two chances for drum bliss and you're adding doubt. Mr Doubtfire. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm a Renown owner, and I love them. But if I were to buy a new kit right now, I'd spend just a little more and go for the Brooklyns.

Also, just to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing, it sounds like your DW kit is from the Keller era, which I think sound WAY better than the shells they make in-house. Just something to consider.

Your DWs are still excellent drums by today's standards. I wouldn't get new drums just because they are new. What exactly are you looking to improve in terms of sound and hardware?
So you have a two out of three chances of happiness and just one for regret so with that "kinda" logic I'd go for it.
Only if each possible outcome is equally probable.

Oh I see-always a counter argument. Well according to string theory there is 10 dimensions, I think. The 3 we know, time, and then 6 more we can't see. So I put Swiss and Bill's posits in the 6 we can't see. So I filled two slots now four more counter arguments can fit in rest. My argument now stands with impunity, well except Swiss and Bill's posit are accurate but no one can see them. So if you saw it-now your mind is a blank-just like mine. I win with my "kinda" logic-no the OP wins with a new drum kit. ROFL.

Back